BBNWR REPORT!

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#11 Andrew K

Andrew K

The Andrew K

• VBSF-HookedUp - I Support VBSF
  • 3,072 posts
  • Interests:I fish, I hunt, I build custom fishing rods. I love the outdoors, I love my wife, I love my life. www.facebook.com/andrew.kumjian
  • MY BOAT:i stand on the sand

Posted 02 August 2017 - 07:19 AM

thanks for the weekly reports BA, just an FYI, the Coyote population is becoming an issue at BBNWR.  mostly at night until a week or so ago, my buddy was fishing down there in the middle of the day and had a coyote circling his pier cart, DURING THE DAY.  Just an FYI

Posted Image
"When you go swimming at the beach, you're entering the food chain and you're no longer on top"

#12 BLACK ADDER

BLACK ADDER

BLACK ADDER

• Visitor ~ NOT A SUBSCRIBER YET?
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,077 posts
  • Interests:Christian gentleman that fishes,boats, hunts, and 'bout anything else you can do outside! Also, instructor and guide to five local grandchildren.
  • MY BOAT:THE JAMES C. WRIGHT, 16 foot aluminum Vbottom

Posted 03 August 2017 - 03:02 PM

So Ranger Brian has been mentioning. We saw a few bobcats in the spring, early in the morning down at our usual spot...not on the beach.but up in the dunes.
Which reminds me...last year a adult coyote walked in front of my truck...at a red light...in broad daylight...at Rosemont and South Plaza Trail! The folks around me thought it was just some old dog, I guess..

BA

#13 BLACK ADDER

BLACK ADDER

BLACK ADDER

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,077 posts
  • Interests:Christian gentleman that fishes,boats, hunts, and 'bout anything else you can do outside! Also, instructor and guide to five local grandchildren.

Posted 10 August 2017 - 05:24 AM

Took Wednesday off to make a pious pilgrimage to CBBT Pier.Thanks to all the fish that made it a relaxing day
by leaving us alone.Grandson caught a slew of croakers and short sea bass.Live baiting fish or eels produced nada.Bbnwr Saturday.
BA

#14 BLACK ADDER

BLACK ADDER

BLACK ADDER

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,077 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 08:03 AM

If anyone is continuing to read this thread, fished BBNWR Saturday 0700 till chased off beach twice by thunderstorms. That would be about two pm... Anyway, I was the ONLY soul out there, which made putting up with rain worthwhile. Had a large fish on heaver and eel early, spit bait in the wash...all I saw was a fin ripping through the rainy surf...anyway, one four foot brown shark on cut fresh spot, and a large roundhead.  Enough of interest to pack up and wait in the truck to try again....

Have had too many bad experiences with lightning to make myself an easy target. Which reminds me:  Back when I was running Therapy for Dr.Wright, he was always real nervous about lightning. Whenever it started popping , I would pull up lines and head away from the radar indicated storm at warp speed. I DOUBT that it makes any difference, a moving target...you just have this feeing you want to do SOMETHING and not just be a target! :jumping-smiley-014:

BA

#15 RobVB

RobVB

Angler

• Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 10:07 PM

Fished BBNWR Sunday morning. Strong current from S to N for the whole incoming tide. I was drifting with 6nbait. I was catching small bluefish (8"-10"), but did catch a fiesty 16" one. I also caught a 10" pompano and some roundhead. The structure has been different down there this summer... more of a shelf then the normal sloughs. At low tide I have had to cast farther to try to get to deeper water. High tide has been a little more forgiving. Hopefully this tropical storm off the coast will move some sand around.

Rob

#16 BLACK ADDER

BLACK ADDER

BLACK ADDER

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,077 posts

Posted 15 August 2017 - 07:28 AM

I fished up at the fence because I was pretty sure few if anybody else was going to fish in the rain. Otherwise, I am way down the beach.
You are right...holes are a little tough to find. There should have been some " outsuck " with the weather, but I didn't see any.I did see one of the big charter boats(HIGH HOPES, I think) right outside casting range, so there must be SOME water out there.
Something you might try, Rob, is pay a few bucks for eels and chop them to three-four inch lengths, to get you started. Menhaden have been inconsistent, and otherwise you gotta sweat for baits....or cast net some before you head south. I am saving my cast net spots until drum time and not "pressuring" them early.Chopped eel is what I am getting hits on ....lasts a lot longer than baitfish, what with the crabs and all.

BA

#17 RobVB

RobVB

Angler

• Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 20 August 2017 - 03:48 PM

Conditions have improved. Still mostly bluefish (8"-14"), but there were also a few spot just past sunrise. There was also a small bunker pod right in front of me for almost an hour. The bluefish were all over it. No puppy drum, but definitely more activity, including the birds. Structure was still lacking overall, but I did find a good rip current.

#18 BLACK ADDER

BLACK ADDER

BLACK ADDER

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,077 posts

Posted Yesterday, 10:27 AM

Drug myself off of the beach Saturday PM after a full day feeding crabs. Took home three roundheads for my mom and pop. Also caught a couple menhaden. Wind came around to NE and humidity dropped so stuck it out until full high tide....No heaver bites. Chap just down from me had a four foot or so shark...too tired to walk over and see. Likely a sandbar.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

TOP RATED CHARTER BOATS

long time comn banner  
  c-e-banner charter_Banner_tango  
  c-e-banner c-e-banner