11 replies to this topic

#1 Kaska60

Kaska60

Captain

• Visitor ~ NOT A SUBSCRIBER YET?
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 98 posts
  • Interests:Fishing, for anything!
  • MY BOAT:Sea Ray 240 flybridge (fishing machine)

Posted 08 February 2008 - 11:22 AM

All,

I'm looking for a method of marking mono line while trolling so i know how far out the lure is. What methods does everyone use? Someone suggested to me to use a waterproof permanent marker to mark the line but i would think that would come off easily. I've got no problem re-marking it if it will stay on for a whole day's trolling. Just trying to find the best way to be effective smile.gif I know with wire line they tape it off every 50 or 100' but i think tape would slide on mono.

Thanks all!

#2 barnical bill

barnical bill

Captain

• I Sponsor VBSF
  • 496 posts
  • Interests:Fishing, over 30 yrs experience on Ches Bay and Offshore Va Beach, Charter Captain.
  • MY BOAT:KeyDreams, 33 Bertram twin Cummins diesel

Posted 08 February 2008 - 11:58 AM

The most accurate way is to get reels with the counters, I personally don't like them and wont use them, but some people do and love them. Its just personal preference. I mostly use two different methods. one way is to count in your head as you let the line out and coordinate that with weight or diving capacity of the lure, so you can spread your baits and cover the specific depths you want to cover. For example for the heavier Mojo on each side would get a lower count then the lighter Mojo, putting the lighter MoJo further back but maybe running at the same depth. This takes practice and works better if the same person puts all the baits out or with my regular fishing crew they have learned to count at the same pace. You can use this method to vary your depths and when you hit fish you know how deep you hit them and can repeat it much easier. The second method is used when I'm trolling in an area with a constant depth. When the boat is set up to trolling speed simply drop each MoJo to the bottom once and lock it down. They will drag up with the resistance on the line. The lighter MoJo will drag up higher them the heavier MoJo. once they have settled drop the Lighter MoJo to bump the bottom again and lock it down. When the lighter MoJo settles with the line drag they will both be about the same depth. Donít let the MoJo sit on the bottom as you are letting them out, as soon as you feel the bump lock it down. You can also adjust this method to achieve the desired depth you want. The objective to both these methods is to acquire the desired depth you want and spread the baits enough to be able to turn without crossing and tangling lines. With diving baits consider the diving depth and adjust the lengths to keep them from running into each other. I hope this helps. Catch Ya Later

Edited by barnical bill, 08 February 2008 - 12:03 PM.

Click on the Striper for my Charter Website.

http://www.keydreamscharterboatservice.com/

Click Here -> For KeyDreams Fishing Reports on VBSF

#3 Kaska60

Kaska60

Captain

• PipPipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 12:04 PM

Thanks bill, I think that will be a good method to use during the summer months and possibly fall. I'm looking to keep the lures in the top 30' of the water for spring season. Someone told me that every 100 feet of line out = 10 feet down. I think that was with wire line though. I'm going to try an "experiment" with the mono at trolling speeds when i get the boat back in the water. Before i go out i'm gona mark every 100 feet with a marker and get my boat going at trolling speed. Then i'll let a lure out to the first mark counting how many secconds it takes. That way i can just count like you we're saying. As long as i let the lures out at roughly the same speed it should hold true to how much line is out. I'll give it a whirl!

Thanks alot!

#4 Kaska60

Kaska60

Captain

• PipPipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 04:48 PM

I guess no one else marks their line to know how deep they are while trolling...ohh well.

#5 cartoonproffitt

cartoonproffitt

Matthew Proffitt

• PipPipPipPip
  • 770 posts
  • Interests:Virginia Beach Sport Fishing.FRESHWATER FISHING SALTWATER FISHING, FISHING IN A DITCH ANY KIND REALLY SOFTBALL AND MY LITTLE GIRL MADISON AN UPCOMING JULIE BALL WATCH OUT FOR HER IN THE FUTURE
  • MY BOAT: 18'0" TROPHY 7'6"

Posted 08 February 2008 - 06:02 PM

QUOTE (Kaska60 @ Feb 8 2008, 11:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
All,

I'm looking for a method of marking mono line while trolling so i know how far out the lure is. What methods does everyone use? Someone suggested to me to use a waterproof permanent marker to mark the line but i would think that would come off easily. I've got no problem re-marking it if it will stay on for a whole day's trolling. Just trying to find the best way to be effective smile.gif I know with wire line they tape it off every 50 or 100' but i think tape would slide on mono.

Thanks all!

i was thinking the same thing!1
Matthew Proffitt

#6 King Dingaling

King Dingaling

Captain

• PipPipPipPip
  • 92 posts
  • MY BOAT:1964 Whaler 17'

Posted 08 February 2008 - 08:30 PM

Measure out your entire length using your hands (fingertip to fingertip is your height). Once you reach the point you want to mark tie a tight uni (with a long piece hanging from the knot) and do not cut it. Re-spool the length back on your reel. When you let out your line to troll (assumedly) stop when you reach the knot. I troll with green or yellow power pro 100lb test. I tie the green to the yellow or the yellow to the green to mark my lengths.

#7 Guest_Donna Sea_*

Guest_Donna Sea_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 February 2008 - 08:50 PM

QUOTE (King Dingaling @ Feb 8 2008, 08:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Measure out your entire length using your hands (fingertip to fingertip is your height). Once you reach the point you want to mark tie a tight uni (with a long piece hanging from the knot) and do not cut it. Re-spool the length back on your reel. When you let out your line to troll (assumedly) stop when you reach the knot. I troll with green or yellow power pro 100lb test. I tie the green to the yellow or the yellow to the green to mark my lengths.

You can get line counters that fit on your rod for a few dollars. I've never used one.

http://www.cabelas.c...e...&hasJS=true

This is not really practical for off shore trolling, but what I used to do when fresh water fishing was measure the distance from my reel to the first eye on my rod - then strip my line out manually - counting the number of times I stripped it.

The way I currently do it when fishing off shore is put my spread out based on feel - then stand on my gunnals so I can see the baits and adjust them as required.

Edited by Donna Sea, 08 February 2008 - 08:53 PM.

#8 Mega Bite

Mega Bite

Mega Bite

• PipPipPipPip
  • 5,113 posts
  • Interests:Fishing&Diving
  • MY BOAT:47 Buddy Davis hull # 2

Posted 08 February 2008 - 10:21 PM

I have used a sharpie but you need to redo it every few trips because it fades.There is color coded mono line on the market it changes color every 10 feet.For Power pro I tie dental floss to mark the increment I need. If you use a Penn Level wind Reel everytime the line leveler goes up then and back the reel pays out 10 feet.

#9 jimbob

jimbob

Captain

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,173 posts
  • MY BOAT:ANGLER 204FX "HIPNAUTIC"

Posted 08 February 2008 - 10:29 PM

bobber stops will work and not hang up
Those of us that expect to catch fish usauly do

#10 barnical bill

barnical bill

Captain

• I Sponsor VBSF
  • 496 posts
  • Interests:Fishing, over 30 yrs experience on Ches Bay and Offshore Va Beach, Charter Captain.
  • MY BOAT:KeyDreams, 33 Bertram twin Cummins diesel

Posted 11 February 2008 - 10:02 AM

QUOTE (Mega Bite @ Feb 8 2008, 10:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have used a sharpie but you need to redo it every few trips because it fades.There is color coded mono line on the market it changes color every 10 feet.For Power pro I tie dental floss to mark the increment I need. If you use a Penn Level wind Reel everytime the line leveler goes up then and back the reel pays out 10 feet.

Watching the level wind. I like that one, never thought about it, Thanks, I often count how many cranks off the bottom the fish are bighting when live baiting, so I can repeat it easily.

Click on the Striper for my Charter Website.

http://www.keydreamscharterboatservice.com/

Click Here -> For KeyDreams Fishing Reports on VBSF

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

TOP RATED CHARTER BOATS