• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Firenut01

Firenut01

Angler

• Visitor ~ NOT A SUBSCRIBER YET?
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
  • Interests:Spring and Fall Rock fishing, hunting and racing.
  • MY BOAT:23 ft Galaxy Walk around

Posted 03 April 2008 - 06:33 AM

I need some help here, Can anyone make a suggestion on how to run a set of planner boards off a 23 fT walk around with a soft top, I only have four rod holders on the sides of the boat. thought about running the clamp type rod holdes on the bow railing, my only concern is it will bend the railings. Please help Spring rockfish season is coming up quick.

#2 G&H Lures

G&H Lures

Captain

• PipPipPipPip
  • 817 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 07:52 AM

My biggest problem with clamp on rod holders is you can't them tight enough so they don't slip around the railing... If you adjustable rod holders and can mount them vertically on your support railings you should be fine. I would get them as close to the base as possible.
VBSF COMMERCIAL SUBSCRIBER - Lure Manufacturer
Posted Image
Phil Malsch - (919) 760-7995
Mike Huddleston (252) 314-0700

#3 Voodoo

Voodoo

Captain

• I Sponsor VBSF
  • 2,319 posts
  • Interests:Family, cancer groups (since I am a survivor), surfing, golfing not much anymore, And of course fishing fishing and more fishing.
  • MY BOAT:21 Sailfish CC.

Posted 03 April 2008 - 07:59 AM

The problem with slipping can be solve with a piece of rubber around the railing. THis will keep the rod holder were you want it. I would not put alot of stress on the railing and as Phil said above put it as low as possible to prevent it from bending.

MArk
VBSF COMERCIAL SUBCRIBER - Tackle Manufacturer
Posted Image
Mark Carstens - Owner
VooDoo Tackle
Ph. 757-630-1204
Email voodootackle@gmail.com
web www.shop.voodootackleonline.com

#4 fordbjr

fordbjr

Captain

• PipPipPipPip
  • 2,027 posts
  • MY BOAT:23' Mako

Posted 03 April 2008 - 08:08 AM

Most people avoid planers for rockfish. Use a mojo or other kind of weight to get a bait down.

For the spring (bay season) I only use live bait or cast into the rocks.

Brian

#5 Firenut01

Firenut01

Angler

• Pip
  • 20 posts
  • Interests:Spring and Fall Rock fishing, hunting and racing.
  • MY BOAT:23 ft Galaxy Walk around

Posted 07 April 2008 - 08:42 AM

QUOTE (fordbjr @ Apr 3 2008, 08:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Most people avoid planers for rockfish. Use a mojo or other kind of weight to get a bait down.

For the spring (bay season) I only use live bait or cast into the rocks.

Brian

Planer boars are set up to run more rods off the boat, if you see a charter boat of a seriuos Trophey stripped bass fisherman they normal run them off the top of the boats and have several rods running off of them, I am just trying to get a set up to help me catch more fish.

#6 STEEL REEL

STEEL REEL

Captain

• GOLD - I Support VBSF
  • 95 posts
  • MY BOAT:STEEL REEL, Scout

Posted 07 April 2008 - 11:43 AM

You don't see to many people in the lower bay (VA Beach Area) using planer boards, not like the middle bay (Chesapeake Beach Area) where it seems like everyone runs them. You may want to look into using a mast system, center pole with planer reels mounted on each side and pulleys. Like they run in the great lakes only beefed up. Look up Big John Planer board reels and they will have examples of the mast systems and you can create your own. I ran my planers from the grab rail of my center consol last year, it worked but the key is to get the lines up higher. I put a tee top on my boat, I am moving the reels up and mounting them on the outside of the t-top. I caught all my fish in the middle bay (Ches. Beach) off the planer boards.

Tight Lines

Brian

#7 Marlin Maniac

Marlin Maniac

Captain

• PipPipPipPip
  • 3,488 posts
  • MY BOAT:19' Pro-Line Center Console

Posted 07 April 2008 - 12:07 PM

The planer boards Firenut and Steel Reels are referring to are used in place of outriggers. I've heard them called side planers and they work well for spreading out your pattern. They work under the same principal as a downward planer, except they go off to the side. They aren't used much in the lower bay but they are big further north. My father had a pair of Yellowbirds on his boat, but I never used them. Some of you may have seen the big Maryland boats at the VB fishing center using them this past season. Some of them pulled well over 50 baits using the big side planers.
You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer." - Frank Zappa

#8 gradyman

gradyman

Captain

• PipPipPipPip
  • 829 posts
  • MY BOAT:Water Dog 38 foot Rampage Express

Posted 07 April 2008 - 04:18 PM

I don't know anything about planer boards but the MD guys that winter at Rudee told me they don't use them here as there are too many boats in a confined area over schools of fish. Can you imagine that? laughing-smiley-014.gif also they said they can run up to 70 (not a typo) rods on them without getting tangled. My mate Randy has a struggle running 5, but I'll let him explain how that is a problem. I'm sure it will involve some bulls***t excuse about the Captain making sharp turns. laughing-smiley-002.gif

Kent

#9 Marlin Maniac

Marlin Maniac

Captain

• PipPipPipPip
  • 3,488 posts
  • MY BOAT:19' Pro-Line Center Console

Posted 07 April 2008 - 05:00 PM

I hear ya Kent. It would be impossible to use them anywhere near the mouth of the bay, but it was one of those boats over at Lake Wesley that explained it to me. They didn't mention where they were fishing....
You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer." - Frank Zappa

#10 Cap't Steve

Cap't Steve

Captain

• PipPipPipPip
  • 91 posts
  • MY BOAT:30' SeaRay

Posted 08 April 2008 - 08:58 AM

QUOTE (Firenut01 @ Apr 3 2008, 07:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I need some help here, Can anyone make a suggestion on how to run a set of planner boards off a 23 fT walk around with a soft top, I only have four rod holders on the sides of the boat. thought about running the clamp type rod holdes on the bow railing, my only concern is it will bend the railings. Please help Spring rockfish season is coming up quick.

Get yourself a couple of those 3-way rod holders that look like Neptune's Trident & mount in an existing rod holder. Haven't seen a bowrail yet that was strong enough to hold a 50lb Rockfish while you try & get to it. The other problem you are gonna have is mounting the boards themselves. Them suckers pull hard & the tethers should be mounted about a foot above the windshield & approximately the same place a set of outriggers would be mounted.

They are used a lot in Md. waters, from Deltaville down not so much. I wouldn't dream of trying to run 'em at the tunnel, liable to cost you a lotta lures, just for starters.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

TOP RATED CHARTER BOATS

Afishinado Fishing Charters Banner