11 replies to this topic

#1 keny

keny

Angler

• Visitor ~ NOT A SUBSCRIBER YET?
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 09:09 PM

I'm thinking about buying a Sea Fox maybe the 23 footer, but don't know much about them. I've heard that they have electrical issues but only on the 2005 and older models. I'm not wanting to spend a whole lot of money on this boat because I currently have a 07 Ranger Bay 2200 w/250 Evinrude E-tec and I'm only wanting a larger center console to go out maybe to 20 miles at the most. I'll only use it maybe 10-15 times a year and don't really need all the bells and whistles. I really just need something that will take me there and back comfortably and dry. I usually only go out in 2-3 ft waves and less because I'm not that experienced in offshore fishing (actually no experience in offshore except with a charter boat). I'm not sure if I want to take my Ranger boat out that far although I've heard of people doing so in calm conditions. I was looking at the Sea Fox's because of the price, but not sure if it's the right boat for me. I'm not looking at a new boat only the used ones in the year range 2003-2006.

If anyone is currently a Sea Fox owner, please tell me about your experience with the boat both good and bad.

Thanks.

#2 adurso

adurso

Angler

• Pip
  • 9 posts
  • MY BOAT:MarJay SeaFox 236

Posted 28 April 2009 - 09:41 PM

I have an '06 236 CC with a Suziki 150. The fit and finish is not that of a Contender or another 100K boat. I have beat he snot out of it and it has not fallen apart. My neighbor has the 21 footer about an '04 and really beats the snot out of his without anything falling off. There is some minor gel coat spider cracking, but I had that with my SeaSwirl also. No structural issues at all. No electrical issues.

I bought mine in 07 with two kids in college the cost did not break the bank.

#3 grayfox

grayfox

Mate

• PipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • Interests:fishing and hunting with my kids
  • MY BOAT:seafox

Posted 28 April 2009 - 10:01 PM

i can tell you that i have put my 23 test!the boat is light!which means you take a beaten on choppy days and you do get wet!i have fished it in 4- 6 ft seas several times!just had to take it slow and easy to keep from taken a beaten!!!it does not compare to the more expensive boats! at the time i bought it,this boat was in my budget and i make it work !i can fish out of hi trolling allday burning less than 30 gal.. it beats sitting at home wanting to go fishing! but my next boat will be bigger,heavier and built a little better!!!!

GRAY

#4 RickyF

RickyF

Captain

• PipPipPipPip
  • 477 posts
  • Interests:Fishing, Scuba Diving & Spear Fishing
  • MY BOAT:"Bottom Time" 26 SeaFox

Posted 29 April 2009 - 04:26 AM

I have to agree with Grayfox. I have a 2005 257 WA. The boat is light, especially in the front which makes for a sometimes bone jarring ride depending on the seas, but it was a step up for me from the 17' center console I had before and I got a killer deal on it because the guy i bought it from was moving with the navy and had to get rid of it. Structurally it has help up well, although I have to say that the electrical from the factory was terrible and I have almost completely rewired the boat. All in all, it is serving my purposes well.
In God We Trust....Everyone else is questionable!!

#5 keny

keny

Angler

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 09:49 AM

QUOTE (RickyF @ Apr 29 2009, 05:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have to agree with Grayfox. I have a 2005 257 WA. The boat is light, especially in the front which makes for a sometimes bone jarring ride depending on the seas, but it was a step up for me from the 17' center console I had before and I got a killer deal on it because the guy i bought it from was moving with the navy and had to get rid of it. Structurally it has help up well, although I have to say that the electrical from the factory was terrible and I have almost completely rewired the boat. All in all, it is serving my purposes well.

When you say electrical, do you mean all the electrical control to the bilge pump, lights, horn, etc.? Even with the electical issue, the engine still fired up right?

Now, I've heard that most the the Sea Fox's come with the Suzuki motors. Are those good engines even after several years of usuage?

#6 RickyF

RickyF

Captain

• PipPipPipPip
  • 477 posts
  • Interests:Fishing, Scuba Diving & Spear Fishing
  • MY BOAT:"Bottom Time" 26 SeaFox

Posted 29 April 2009 - 10:03 AM

The wiring "harness" that runs from the switches to the stern was run in the bottom of the bildge and not in any kind of conduit to protect it from bildge water, etc. I started having numerous problems with macerators and live well pumps not working which is how I found the problem. I like to do things right, so I took the time to disconnect the harness than ran aft to the lights, pumps, engine, etc and ran a piece of PVC and ran all the wires in that. None of the connections to the pumps and macerators were shrink wrapped, and were severely corroded, so I replaced all of the connections and sealed them properly. I also went ahead and replaced all switches and circuit breakers at the same time.

My boat came with a Mercury 225 4 stroke and so far the engine has been stellar.
In God We Trust....Everyone else is questionable!!

#7 grayfox

grayfox

Mate

• PipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • Interests:fishing and hunting with my kids
  • MY BOAT:seafox

Posted 29 April 2009 - 12:49 PM

we rewired our boat due to wires laying everywhere!!!didnt want to play with wires all the time to keep things working!i have a mercury on mine also!it has performed great!

#8 jimbob

jimbob

Captain

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,173 posts
  • MY BOAT:ANGLER 204FX "HIPNAUTIC"

Posted 29 April 2009 - 05:03 PM

If you want a comfortable ride look for something a little older with a repower done in recent years. Thats what I did I bought a 86 mako that was repowered in 2001 it is a lot heavier boat in yes it cost me more in fuel but at the end of the day I not hurting. Your money can be spent better on an older quilty boat then a newer cheaply built boat. With seafix being such a light boat you will get tossed around in any chop and will get wet go to thehulltruth.com and do a search on them and look at some of the photos of the craftsmenship on them.
Those of us that expect to catch fish usauly do

#9 netman9

netman9

Captain

• PipPipPipPip
  • 469 posts
  • Interests:3 Boys and Family---Fishing-Hunting-Gardening
  • MY BOAT:"Netman N Gaffer" 230wa Hydra-sport

Posted 29 April 2009 - 06:49 PM

Not sure if it was on here or another forum but a guy put about 5 or 6 manufactures with model and weight and sea fox was right in there on dry hull weight. 100-500 lb. dif on 23' boats. Thats the dif of a full or half tank of fuel. I've never been in one on the water, considered looking at used sea fox but never got close enough for a sea trial. Ended up with a hydrasport 230wa. Very pleased. As far as eletrical probs spent a cold morning breaking ice out of owl creek to have all but the motors shut down on a 6 month old polar. Turned out to be a $.03 of washer that wasn't stainless. Good luck with the boat shopping.

#10 drawinout

drawinout

Captain

• PipPipPipPip
  • 961 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 08:39 PM

QUOTE (jimbob @ Apr 29 2009, 06:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If you want a comfortable ride look for something a little older with a repower done in recent years. Thats what I did I bought a 86 mako that was repowered in 2001 it is a lot heavier boat in yes it cost me more in fuel but at the end of the day I not hurting. Your money can be spent better on an older quilty boat then a newer cheaply built boat. With seafix being such a light boat you will get tossed around in any chop and will get wet go to thehulltruth.com and do a search on them and look at some of the photos of the craftsmenship on them.

You can take that info. straight to the bank Jack!!! iagree.gif costumed-smiley-089.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

TOP RATED CHARTER BOATS

Afishinado Fishing Charters Banner