19 replies to this topic

#1 Carpslayer

Carpslayer

Master Angler

• Visitor ~ NOT A SUBSCRIBER YET?
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 11:43 AM

Does anybody know of some spots that are full of carp that I can bowfish without a boat? Thanks!

#2 BLACK ADDER

BLACK ADDER

BLACK ADDER

• PipPipPipPip
  • 985 posts
  • Interests:Christian gentleman that fishes,boats, hunts, and 'bout anything else you can do outside! Also, instructor and guide to five local grandchildren.
  • MY BOAT:THE JAMES C. WRIGHT, 16 foot aluminum Vbottom

Posted 27 February 2012 - 08:25 AM

Well, we strictly carp fish by hook and line and release fish alive. I have seen some places around where the carp are liable to show themselves by jumping , but nothing that would put a carp in a spot that would allow a shot. Also, many of the river carp live in muddy water, making it a challenging deal.
If you spend thirty bucks and get a North Carolina non-resident license, you can shoot the canals down Knott's Island way, which are shallow. I also catch alligator gar and bowfins in those canals.
By the way: what are you doing with the killed carp? I understand they are quite a delicacy in Europe.

BA

#3 Fishnguard

Fishnguard

Captain

• PipPipPipPip
  • 489 posts
  • Interests:Fishing, Skating, tasty waves, and my two girls lauren and summer
  • MY BOAT:2 person canoe

Posted 27 February 2012 - 03:45 PM

i fish in a lake all the time in linkhorn bay apts and they show themselves in very clear shallow water

#4 BLACK ADDER

BLACK ADDER

BLACK ADDER

• PipPipPipPip
  • 985 posts
  • Interests:Christian gentleman that fishes,boats, hunts, and 'bout anything else you can do outside! Also, instructor and guide to five local grandchildren.
  • MY BOAT:THE JAMES C. WRIGHT, 16 foot aluminum Vbottom

Posted 05 March 2012 - 11:44 AM

i fish in a lake all the time in linkhorn bay apts and they show themselves in very clear shallow water

This time of year, I start targeting carp , using bait only. Is that Linkhorn Bay Apts a cool place to fish, and what size are your carp? We might want to pop in and try a little something/something on 'em! If you were interesting in seeing British Style Match Fishing for carp, you might want to meet up with us.

BA

#5 peejcj8

peejcj8

Captain

• GOLD - I Support VBSF
  • 5,865 posts
  • Interests:Grad School, Fishing and cycling
  • MY BOAT:"Roll Tide" Albemarle 24

Posted 05 March 2012 - 08:55 PM

Might want to check some laws prior to shooting a bow in VB. I know they knocked off the BB gun law, but not sure if you can legally shoot a bow into your average apartment retention pond. Might be alot more interesting catching them with a corn kernel, than going to jail.
24 Albemarle 1979 Hull #10
Roll Tide

"Fishing is a delusion entirely surrounded by liars in old clothes." Don Marquis

#6 Fishnguard

Fishnguard

Captain

• PipPipPipPip
  • 489 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 06:13 AM

ive read the whole freshwater fishing guide or whatever and it talks about bow fishing and gigging and whatnot. but it doesnt say anything about the type of area you do it in. the only thing it says is that they cant be trout stocked waters. and BA theres a deck here we can fish off of we could prob fan out 30 rods and they wouldnt stand a chance haha. but they are prob about a foot and a half id guess about 20 lbs.

#7 Carpslayer

Carpslayer

Master Angler

• PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 08:58 PM

It's legal with a fishing license, but I get harassed so much it isn't worth it, I've rigged up my boat to hit the swamps in VB, in a few weeks when they spawn, I'll hammer them

#8 Fishnguard

Fishnguard

Captain

• PipPipPipPip
  • 489 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 10:00 PM

the spot in linkhorn bay would be an easy spot and nobody would bother you. the residents including me all hate the carp as well. even kids run around trying to spear them with their moms cutco knives ductaped to a pvc pipe.

#9 Fishnguard

Fishnguard

Captain

• PipPipPipPip
  • 489 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 10:01 PM

but the swamp sounds like way more fun

#10 FishStoriesJR

FishStoriesJR

Angler

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 05:49 AM

@ Carp Slayer - Even if it is legal to take carp with a fishing license per VDGIF, there may be restrictions on shooting a bow within city limits so it may be worth checking that angle out as well based on where you're trying to bowfish.

I am a catch and release carp angler myself and have lived in VA Beach area for nearly two years, but haven't fished the area yet, I'd appreciate any suggestions on places I could fish from shore this summer. Especially any areas with big carp that get up into the 20lb+ range.

Thanks,
Jon

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

TOP RATED CHARTER BOATS