Assateague Island Striper Report

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Andrew K

Andrew K

Carolina Cast Pro - Pro Staffer

• VBSF-HookedUp - I Support VBSF
  • 3,055 posts
  • Interests:Fishing, building Fishing Rods, and Fishing. I work at and build fishing rods for the Rod Father Bait and Tackle shop in Hampton, VA. I am also on the pro staff for Carolina Cast Pro and Guides Secret Lures
  • MY BOAT:i stand on the sand

Posted 15 May 2012 - 11:16 AM

Lets just say im a bit tired.

Spent the weekend in Norman, Oklahoma, my little brother Matthew (the weather man) graduated with his PhD in meteorology. I flew back yesterday morning, arrived in Norfolk about 1:30pm. Loaded my truck and went straight to pick up Steve (aka Capt Ron) and off to AI we went. The forecast was calling for SE winds 15-20 and rain/thunderstorms, but i had to go, my buddy Dave (the shark man)caught three Sunday biggest being 42".

We hit the Island right behind Dave, Jon and Sam; aired down and headed down the beach to "Dave's spot". Wind was blowing but it wasn't bad, when we got there 6oz were barley holding, but 8oz was fine.

Not even an hour after having rods in the water (bait was fresh bunker/sand fleas), my 1509 goes off. I run over get hooked up and the fight is on. Because of the wind/current we got tangled but still managed to land a 37 inch bass! First big one of the year off the beach.

Get baited back up and shortly after dark Dave's rod goes off and he beaches one that looks identical to mine (i know it wasn't mine because mine was in the COOLER). About an hour after Dave's fish Jon's rod goes off and he lands his first big bass of the year just about 35 inches. He sends that one back into the ocean to get bigger.

The next few hours (low tide), the fishing fell off, we had a few skates but that was it. it got to the point where the current picked up, not the wind, but 6oz stopped holding, then 8oz, then 10oz wouldn't hold. And the rain came, it wasn't a bad rain, but combination of wind, rain, and needing 12oz to hold bottom we threw in the towel.

We didn't catch a lot, but we caught some. Sorry Steve didn't get a chance to get one, but still i think we all had a good time.
IMG_1639.jpg
Posted Image
"When you go swimming at the beach, you're entering the food chain and you're no longer on top"

#2 JPChase

JPChase

Captain

• Visitor ~ NOT A SUBSCRIBER YET?
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 12:58 PM

Thanks for the report dude, although I got the skinny from ya already via text :laughing-smiley-002:

Glad you got a fish and too bad Capt Ron didn't get one, but there's always next time!

Did you rewrap your 1509? I thought it was blue and yellow before? Regardless it looks nice :action-smiley-033:

I'm heading up there this weekend, hopefully I have some pictures to post...

#3 kdfarmer

kdfarmer

Captain

• GOLD - I Support VBSF
  • 1,889 posts
  • MY BOAT:Miss Fortune, 2003 21'CC Seafox

Posted 15 May 2012 - 02:50 PM

Nice job, Andrew! congrats on the beach striper! Hopefully they will hold up for you for a while. I just talked to a guy down here from NJ and he swears that no striper ever made the run up the rivers with the shad this year. with the weather, who knows what will happen next. Thanks for the report! And FYI, it looks like we will be coming baclk north 7-14 so maybe we can hook up for the bluewater and whup Capt. Todds butt this year- it shouldn't be hard! And Cheryl shouldn't be able to win the flatties with a dink! See ya' soon!
I know you believe you understand what you think I said but I am not sure
that what you heard is what I meant!

#4 capt ron

capt ron

Captain

• GOLD - I Support VBSF
  • 103 posts
  • Interests:Ice Hockey and Fishing
  • MY BOAT:is just to high to buy...

Posted 15 May 2012 - 03:54 PM

Didn't get to catch one but I had a great time trying. That was a first for me, didn't believe all those stories of catching stripers on the beach until I saw Andrew land his...I'll be back!

#5 Fishnguard

Fishnguard

Captain

• PipPipPipPip
  • 489 posts
  • Interests:Fishing, Skating, tasty waves, and my two girls lauren and summer
  • MY BOAT:2 person canoe

Posted 16 May 2012 - 04:30 PM

awesome fish andrew sounds like a good trip. Thats awesome to see a striper thike that in the surf.... and then in the box hahaha congrats man

#6 Marlin Maniac

Marlin Maniac

Captain

• PipPipPipPip
  • 3,486 posts
  • MY BOAT:19' Pro-Line Center Console

Posted 17 May 2012 - 07:32 AM

Awesome fish Andrew! That's a great catch from the suds. Beware of Captain Todd. He's one bad man. I've even heard he catches Mahi Mahi in the inlet!
You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer." - Frank Zappa

#7 Andrew K

Andrew K

Carolina Cast Pro - Pro Staffer

• VBSF-HookedUp - I Support VBSF
  • 3,055 posts
  • Interests:Fishing, building Fishing Rods, and Fishing. I work at and build fishing rods for the Rod Father Bait and Tackle shop in Hampton, VA. I am also on the pro staff for Carolina Cast Pro and Guides Secret Lures
  • MY BOAT:i stand on the sand

Posted 17 May 2012 - 11:26 AM

thanks everyone.

Kevin - the guy from NJ is wrong, they are just not leaving the rivers!

John - the blue and yellow is my re-wrapped TICA
Posted Image
"When you go swimming at the beach, you're entering the food chain and you're no longer on top"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

TOP RATED CHARTER BOATS

Afishinado Fishing Charters Banner