Holy Shikes! What an incredible night June 9 2012

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Classicrockfish

Classicrockfish

Captain

• GOLD - I Support VBSF
  • 586 posts
  • Interests:Fishing, boating,pictures,eclectus parrots, and painting.
  • MY BOAT:Proline 241 WA

Posted 10 June 2012 - 05:36 PM

With all the scheduled performances for Clara at Op Sail this weekend, the outlook of getting to fish was slim, but I always tell my kids where there is a will there is a way. I called David and Ben knowing they still were both in need of paper reds before I left for Waterside with Clara and told them to get bait together and meet us at the ramp after the last show... I managed to get out on time and we met a 6pm at the Lynnhaven boat ramp...

We quickly departed arrived at the first location, at first it looked great on the gps, after 40 minutes of nothing, I knew we had fallen for "a tourist trap". I had mentioned the next spot on the way out a few times, we all agreed that we needed to check it out, so we did. When we got there, I told Ben and David to drop the anchor. We set up our lines. We had live female blue crab(most productive), clams, and even some live bait. We used standard fish finder rigs with J hooks and yes I had the magic bead on one of my spinner rods.

Our lines out now and the first rod went off . Ben grabbed it and the fish came off, this happened again and then finally Ben got his first red drum a 44 incher ( on the ''magic' bead). David was up on the cobia tower having fun and joking around... and suddenly then another line went off ZZZZZZZZ. Just to see him get down off the tower like that I knew it was going to be a crazy fun night.. David fought the fish and landed a 45 incher.. Then another rod went off Ben grabbed it, the fish was off. Then another rod went off I grabbed it and fought this fish for a while and before I even got the fish to the boat Ben grabbed the next rod going off and had another fish on..These two fish were insane and next thing I know Ben's fish darted across my line. Everyone on the boat said my fish was off. I knew better. A few minutes later Ben boated his first red drum citation at 46 inches. His fish needed to get back in the water after they de-tangled a few things and my fish was still hanging on and almost to the boat. Ben said he didn't need a photo, but I really wish we had one :0( The crew then helped me get my fish to the boat by clearing some stuff and having the net ready. She finally arrived after 5 episodes of diving and trying to get away. She was a nice 45 incher. . Then a minute after, another line went off. Kevin grabbed that rod and landed a nice 45 incher..David had hooked up and was on the bow of the boat. I know how much he loves his Release reels so when I was standing right next to the reel and it went crazy even though I knew he had something going on up in the bow, I called him. He looked up I said get over here, your release reel is calling you. Kevin took the rod he was holding and shortly after that fish came off. David quickly ran to the back of the boat. This fish was a true fighter but the reel got him in quickly. David's smile and laugh said it all. His first redfish paper, this was a fat feisty fish with 46 inches of pure red! Shortly after David boated his fish he and Ben wanted to go home. Me, I could have easily stayed for a few more hours. Kevin was really tired and so we packed up and left to head home just shortly after 11pm. All in all the night was amazing, we had 11 hook ups and boated 6 reds with 2 first time papers for a father and a son. A father and son night to remember indeed. (since Ben did not get a photo of his paper red when it got to the boat, I did have a picture of him hooking the fish up at least see below)

Attached Thumbnails

• 014ben vbsf first red.jpg
  • 022david vbsf first red.jpg
  • 025beth vbsf red.jpg
  • 031kevin vbsf.jpg
  • 037david first paper red vbsf.jpg
  • 010ben vbsf.jpg

Nothin like a fish on!

#2 Fishnguard

Fishnguard

Captain

• Visitor ~ NOT A SUBSCRIBER YET?
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 489 posts
  • Interests:Fishing, Skating, tasty waves, and my two girls lauren and summer
  • MY BOAT:2 person canoe

Posted 10 June 2012 - 06:18 PM

awesome trip!!!

#3 Voodoo

Voodoo

Captain

• I Sponsor VBSF
  • 2,319 posts
  • Interests:Family, cancer groups (since I am a survivor), surfing, golfing not much anymore, And of course fishing fishing and more fishing.
  • MY BOAT:21 Sailfish CC.

Posted 10 June 2012 - 07:11 PM

Not bad considering July 9th isnt even here yet........good job way to get on the fish.
VooDoo
VBSF COMERCIAL SUBCRIBER - Tackle Manufacturer
Posted Image
Mark Carstens - Owner
VooDoo Tackle
Ph. 757-630-1204
Email voodootackle@gmail.com
web www.shop.voodootackleonline.com

#4 Knot Tied

Knot Tied

Captain

• PipPipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 07:38 PM

I goin out JULY 9. Where yall gonna be? Great catches. Gongrat on the papers.

#5 LASwampRat

LASwampRat

Captain

• I Support VBSF!
  • 253 posts
  • Interests:Fishing, Football...
  • MY BOAT:INNAMORATA - boston whaler conquest

Posted 10 June 2012 - 08:02 PM

Damn...nice fish!

#6 Classicrockfish

Classicrockfish

Captain

• GOLD - I Support VBSF
  • 586 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 10:14 PM

Fishnguard,
Thank you :)
Voodoo,
Mark..OMG is that funny. I didn't even realize that I made that error...ha ha too funny.. guess it shows ya how tired I really am from all the running around from 7 performances that Clara was in this weekend..I fixed my boo boo thanks for bringing it to my attention.. :laughing-smiley-002:
Knot tied,
ha ha thanks .. I just fixed it to reflect the correct date...thanks for your note :animal-smiley-048:
Swamprat,
Thanks Wendy (and Ken) :0) ps....I sent a reply to your note :0) :vbsf_rocks:
Nothin like a fish on!

#7 FunTimes

FunTimes

Angler

• Pip
  • 7 posts
  • MY BOAT:20' Thundercraft

Posted 11 June 2012 - 10:10 AM

Who did you charter with for this trip?
Looked like a fun trip.

#8 FunTimes

FunTimes

Angler

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 10:11 AM

With all the scheduled performances for Clara at Op Sail this weekend, the outlook of getting to fish was slim, but I always tell my kids where there is a will there is a way. I called David and Ben knowing they still were both in need of paper reds before I left for Waterside with Clara and told them to get bait together and meet us at the ramp after the last show... I managed to get out on time and we met a 6pm at the Lynnhaven boat ramp... We quickly departed arrived at the first location, at first it looked great on the gps, after 40 minutes of nothing, I knew we had fallen for "a tourist trap". I had mentioned the next spot on the way out a few times, we all agreed that we needed to check it out, so we did. When we got there, I told Ben and David to drop the anchor. We set up our lines. We had live female blue crab(most productive), clams, and even some live bait. We used standard fish finder rigs with J hooks and yes I had the magic bead on one of my spinner rods. Our lines out now and the first rod went off . Ben grabbed it and the fish came off, this happened again and then finally Ben got his first red drum a 44 incher ( on the ''magic' bead). David was up on the cobia tower having fun and joking around... and suddenly then another line went off ZZZZZZZZ. Just to see him get down off the tower like that I knew it was going to be a crazy fun night.. David fought the fish and landed a 45 incher.. Then another rod went off Ben grabbed it, the fish was off. Then another rod went off I grabbed it and fought this fish for a while and before I even got the fish to the boat Ben grabbed the next rod going off and had another fish on..These two fish were insane and next thing I know Ben's fish darted across my line. Everyone on the boat said my fish was off. I knew better. A few minutes later Ben boated his first red drum citation at 46 inches. His fish needed to get back in the water after they de-tangled a few things and my fish was still hanging on and almost to the boat. Ben said he didn't need a photo, but I really wish we had one :0( The crew then helped me get my fish to the boat by clearing some stuff and having the net ready. She finally arrived after 5 episodes of diving and trying to get away. She was a nice 45 incher. . Then a minute after, another line went off. Kevin grabbed that rod and landed a nice 45 incher..David had hooked up and was on the bow of the boat. I know how much he loves his Release reels so when I was standing right next to the reel and it went crazy even though I knew he had something going on up in the bow, I called him. He looked up I said get over here, your release reel is calling you. Kevin took the rod he was holding and shortly after that fish came off. David quickly ran to the back of the boat. This fish was a true fighter but the reel got him in quickly. David's smile and laugh said it all. His first redfish paper, this was a fat feisty fish with 46 inches of pure red! Shortly after David boated his fish he and Ben wanted to go home. Me, I could have easily stayed for a few more hours. Kevin was really tired and so we packed up and left to head home just shortly after 11pm. All in all the night was amazing, we had 11 hook ups and boated 6 reds with 2 first time papers for a father and a son. A father and son night to remember indeed. (since Ben did not get a photo of his paper red when it got to the boat, I did have a picture of him hooking the fish up at least see below)

#9 FunTimes

FunTimes

Angler

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 10:12 AM

Who did you charter with for this trip?
Looked like a fun trip.

#10 Classicrockfish

Classicrockfish

Captain

• GOLD - I Support VBSF
  • 586 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 11:26 AM

FunTimes,
Thanks for the response. The trip was a lot of fun. I took my boat out there for this trip. I am not a charter boat, but if you are looking for one there are plenty of fantastic captains who support this board who would love to help you out.I take your note as a compliment sir, that you would somehow get the impression that I was on a charter for this trip. I simply love to fish and write, if my report inspires you or others reading this to want to go out and catch drum like this, please give one of them a call....They are the professionals and they deserve your support. :)
:vbsf_rocks3:
Nothin like a fish on!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

TOP RATED CHARTER BOATS

Afishinado Fishing Charters Banner