5 replies to this topic

#1 jkelly

jkelly

Master Angler

• Visitor ~ NOT A SUBSCRIBER YET?
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 08:27 PM

My brother Jason and I joined Erik Haliday and 3 other guys for another run at the tuna. Cleared Rudee shortly before 5am and made good time. We dropped lines on the 200 in 40fa and put on a southeast troll. Hit 50fa and flatlines popped with a double header of gaffers. 2 mahi in the box and spread back in. Shortly after WHAM! 3 lines go zzzzzzzzzzzzz and we land 3 nice yellowfins. Bloodbath in the boat, set the spread back and spray down the cockpit and are getting close to the 100fa line. Radio to our buddy boat and give word of the bite. Out of nowhere 2 white fellows blitz in from the port side and take 2 flatlines for a quick ride before pulling off. Cussed a bit and rerigged then picked up a single yellowfin. Erik saw a bouy to our port side and trolled by and we snag a smaller mahi. Grab some chicken and a mnt dew and then pop,pop,pop,pop,pop 5 lines go down and we land 4 more tunas, center line broke on a new spreader bar. Get the tunas bled and on ice and troll for a bit then the right longrigger pops and we land a 65lb brute. Now it is about 10:30 and the boxes are almost full and we're all smiles. 11:00 3 lines go down and we're ready to land all 3 and head on in with 2 full boxes. Well, we got the gaff in 1 and the other 2 pulled off. Decide to start trolling back northwest in the direction of home and we didn't get bit. Once we passed the weather bouy at quarter after 1 we pulled lines and steamed back to Rudee in lake like conditions. Made the 65 mile ride and back at the dock at quarter to 4. Fished between 150 and 200 lines all day. The fish cleaner had the fish done before we even got the boat clean. Final talley 9-13 on yellowfin, 3-3 on mahi, 0-2 on whites. So nice not to have to clean a few hundred pounds of fish at the end of the day. It was an awesome day out there and Jason's and my 3rd weekend in a row tuna fishing. We figured we've caught roughly 1200 lbs of fish in the past 3 weeks!!! Fish hit witches, daisy chains, spreader bars, jetheads in all colors.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#2 skinnys-kid

skinnys-kid

Captain

• I Sponsor VBSF
  • 7,311 posts
  • Interests:Any type of fishing, making Offshore Trolling Lures, Relaxing under a palm tree
  • MY BOAT:16' 1958 Alumacraft

Posted 10 June 2012 - 09:34 PM

Hell of a catch on that nailboard! Congrats and thanks for the post!

--Don
VBSF COMMERCIAL SUBSCRIBER & Content Contributor
Posted Image
10% off to all VBSF Sponsors and Supporters
Proud Partner in Conservation with The Billfish Foundation

#3 Reel Release

Reel Release

Captain

• GOLD - I Support VBSF
  • 285 posts
  • Interests:Hunting & Offshore Fishing
  • MY BOAT:Reel Release 26' Regulator

Posted 10 June 2012 - 09:49 PM

Nice Job! Sorry about the missed whites. Heard about some blue ones around, think one charter hooked up briefly.

Erick
There's no place like Blue Water!

#4 Voodoo

Voodoo

Captain

• I Sponsor VBSF
  • 2,319 posts
  • Interests:Family, cancer groups (since I am a survivor), surfing, golfing not much anymore, And of course fishing fishing and more fishing.
  • MY BOAT:21 Sailfish CC.

Posted 11 June 2012 - 06:01 AM

Nice job on the full boxes.
VooDoo
VBSF COMERCIAL SUBCRIBER - Tackle Manufacturer
Posted Image
Mark Carstens - Owner
VooDoo Tackle
Ph. 757-630-1204
Email voodootackle@gmail.com
web www.shop.voodootackleonline.com

#5 altizerbd