KeyDreams Charter Fishing

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 barnical bill

barnical bill

Captain

• I Sponsor VBSF
  • 543 posts
  • Interests:Fishing, over 30 yrs experience on Ches Bay and Offshore Va Beach, Charter Captain.
  • MY BOAT:KeyDreams, 33 Bertram twin Cummins diesel

Posted 19 June 2012 - 09:33 AM

This morning we got 3 guys out for a belated Fathers Day fishing trip. The Spring Striper Season is closed now, so we Started out directly looking for Flounder keeping an eye and bait ready for any visiting Cobia that might come our way. It didn’t take long we had our first Flounder of the day in the boat and it was a Big one almost 27 inches. The Flounder bight wasn’t fast but steady with one caught here and there all morning. They ended up catching 14 and we put 11 nice Flounder in the box. We caught a variety of the other stuff as well like the Oyster Toads, Skates, Little Black Seabass, and Grey Trout. We did have a unusual surprise that we haven’t caught for a long time in the Bay and it was a baby Hammer Head Shark abut 3' long and was released after a couple pictures. He bleed a bit so he must have initially swallowed the hook because the hook was in the corner of his mouth when we came to the surface. He should be fine, sharks are pretty tough critters. We didn’t spot any Cobia today but saw dozens of Cownose Rays swimming and some of them are starting their mating rituals on the surface which is neat to see. At the end of the day we had to go weigh in that Big Flounder since a 27 inch Flounder should go 7 to 8 pounds, but when we got to the weigh station and I came down and pulled it out of the cooler I started having a little doubt about it making the 7 pound cut since the Flounder was long but narrow and the girth wasn’t all that thick. The Flounder weighed in at 6 lb. 14 oz. still a nice Big Flounder. They ended up with 3/4's of a 5 gallon bucket of Flounder fillets. We all had a fun time and enjoyed a beautiful day on the Chesapeake Bay.

06-18-12 KeyDreams 012.jpg 06-18-12 KeyDreams 013.jpg 06-18-12 KeyDreams 015.jpg 06-18-12 KeyDreams 017.jpg 06-18-12 KeyDreams 020.jpg

Click on the Striper for my Charter Website.

http://www.keydreamscharterboatservice.com/

Click Here -> For KeyDreams Fishing Reports on VBSF

#2 altizerbd

altizerbd

Captain

• I Subscribe To VBSF
  • 210 posts
  • MY BOAT:87 Challenger and 12' SINK

Posted 19 June 2012 - 09:44 AM

Doormat!

#3 eaglesfanguy

eaglesfanguy

Captain

• Visitor ~ NOT A SUBSCRIBER YET?
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 02:26 PM

That sounds like one fun trip. Great job captain. Cute Hammerhead, hope he grows old and huge. 6lb flounder is still a great feat.. nice fish.

#4 Knot Tied

Knot Tied

Captain

• PipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 04:18 PM

Sounds like fun. I caught a 3 ft hammerhead at caoe henry wreck a couple years ago.

#5 zambezi

zambezi

Captain

• PipPipPipPip
  • 539 posts
  • Interests:Holding at least one World Record!
  • MY BOAT:24 cc Patriot MPL-24' Carolina Skiff

Posted 19 June 2012 - 08:25 PM

Yeah Ive hooked 3 hammerhead off the Seagull, one was almost six feet. But, man those are some niiiice flounder!

#6 barnical bill

barnical bill

Captain

• I Sponsor VBSF
  • 543 posts
  • Interests:Fishing, over 30 yrs experience on Ches Bay and Offshore Va Beach, Charter Captain.
  • MY BOAT:KeyDreams, 33 Bertram twin Cummins diesel

Posted 20 June 2012 - 08:36 PM

I've caught them before around Cape Henry before, all Small ones like this one. One day we caught 3 of them in the same trip but that was at least 10 or 15 years ago. The biggest one I've seen around Virginia was Offshore and that Hammerhead was about 14 foot long about 20 years ago and was both amazing to watch for the size and girth and just a little un-nerving as he was circling tightly around our boat with fish blood oozing out the scuppers from Tuna Chunking and Sea Bassing. He shut down the bight so we had to relocate. We never once thought about trying to catch him, too big, he probably would have just spooled us anyway.

Click on the Striper for my Charter Website.

http://www.keydreamscharterboatservice.com/

Click Here -> For KeyDreams Fishing Reports on VBSF

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: KeyDreams Charter Fishing

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

TOP RATED CHARTER BOATS

Afishinado Fishing Charters Banner