F1uk3

Angler

• Visitor ~ NOT A SUBSCRIBER YET?
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • MY BOAT:Polar 2300 CC

Posted 26 June 2012 - 03:22 PM

Hello everyone!

I'm new to the forum and look forward to hopefully posting some good fishing reports.

I'm also a new boater - just bought a 23 foot center console - and looking forward to fishing the VA Beach areas from the boat instead of from land. :D

Any advice from some of the seasoned boaters regarding fishing the lower Chessy would be really appreciated. I'm not looking for secret spots or anything like that, but rather pointers, advice regarding safety, warnings, things to do/not to do, etiquette, etc. I want to make sure that I don't peeve anyone off by doing something stupid.

In particular, I'd really like to start fishing the CBBT and areas close to there. I don't have much experience so would like to keep things simple and safe. Do people anchor at the islands or channels when fishing for togs or other species? Any pointers on anchoring in these types of areas that can have pretty mean currents?

Sorry for the "long" introduction.

TIA!

#2 Voodoo

Voodoo

Captain

• I Sponsor VBSF
  • 2,319 posts
  • Interests:Family, cancer groups (since I am a survivor), surfing, golfing not much anymore, And of course fishing fishing and more fishing.
  • MY BOAT:21 Sailfish CC.

Posted 26 June 2012 - 03:57 PM

Invest in a wreck anchor if you are going to anchor around the bridge tunnel. Very rocky and the wreck anchor will save you money in the long run and not get snagged like a regular anchor. Check out the how too section it has been put together to help new folks fish this area. If you have any questions let me know I will help you out. Welcome to the forum and we look forward to reading your reports.

VooDoo
VBSF COMERCIAL SUBCRIBER - Tackle Manufacturer
Posted Image
Mark Carstens - Owner
VooDoo Tackle
Ph. 757-630-1204
Email voodootackle@gmail.com
web www.shop.voodootackleonline.com

#3 F1uk3

F1uk3

Angler

• Visitor ~ NOT A SUBSCRIBER YET?
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • MY BOAT:Polar 2300 CC

Posted 26 June 2012 - 04:18 PM

Thanks for the advice. Read a lot about wreck anchors and plan on buying a Mighty Mite or making one myself (found a nice how-to online).

I looked through the site but didn't see a how-to on anchoring. The only thing I found was a short section on using a wreck anchor in the Tog article. Is this what you were talking about?

#4 billy k

billy k

Captain

• GOLD - I Support VBSF
  • 344 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 05:18 PM

Welcome. Always nice to help out some body new. I will talke later when I have mopre time. Billy K (The Little Red Boat)

#5 Voodoo

Voodoo

Captain

• I Sponsor VBSF
  • 2,319 posts
  • Interests:Family, cancer groups (since I am a survivor), surfing, golfing not much anymore, And of course fishing fishing and more fishing.
  • MY BOAT:21 Sailfish CC.

Posted 26 June 2012 - 06:29 PM

I was talking about the fishing and the sections on what to use and where to go. Anchoring with a wreck anchor is simple - make sure you attach the shackle to the bottom of the anchor under the tines and then zip tie it to the top with 2 zip ties. This way when you need to pop it free it breaks the zip ties and comes up. The only time you would loose the anchor is when it wedges up under a rock and you can't free it from the hole.

Check out the how to section on fishing and if you still have questions email me or just port up your questions and someone will answer it for you.

VooDoo
VBSF COMERCIAL SUBCRIBER - Tackle Manufacturer
Posted Image
Mark Carstens - Owner
VooDoo Tackle
Ph. 757-630-1204
Email voodootackle@gmail.com
web www.shop.voodootackleonline.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

TOP RATED CHARTER BOATS