#1 Hunt4bigFish

Hunt4bigFish

Mate

• Visitor ~ NOT A SUBSCRIBER YET?
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts
  • MY BOAT:On the to do list

Posted 24 July 2012 - 09:09 AM

Looking for running finger mullet for bait. Taking a trip down to Nags Head from NoVA with the guys to fish and hangout this weekend, would like to have some bait lined-up before we get there. I'd like to get into some bait on our way down (hopefully near route) or find a place there. I've also heard there some places in NC to catch some shrimp. Anyhow, got 7 guys, and Im really the only hardcore fisherman. I have a 8 foot cast net, and tons of other gear, Id be willing to buy other items as suggested. Any help with bait info or good fishing for the guys in Nags Head would be a appreciated. Follow-up to the weekend coming soon.

Tight lines

Sam

#2 BLACK ADDER

BLACK ADDER

BLACK ADDER

• PipPipPipPip
  • 988 posts
  • Interests:Christian gentleman that fishes,boats, hunts, and 'bout anything else you can do outside! Also, instructor and guide to five local grandchildren.
  • MY BOAT:THE JAMES C. WRIGHT, 16 foot aluminum Vbottom

Posted 24 July 2012 - 09:24 AM

TW's Tackle in Nags Head are pretty reliable. They should have a good selection,as well as local knowledge. As far as gathering your own...
My old favorite spot down there was around Oregon Inlet at the small boat ramps.If you get there before the crowds, you can often scratch out some bait. Unless they have fixed the ramp in the last twenty-five years, though, watch your cast net.I lost one there some years ago on a deep snag.
Better to BUY SOME, and then,as you fish, try to catch bait fish,etc, to flesh out your stock of bait.

BA

PS With the rain we have had so much of, the flies up here in Va.Beach are MURDER with any kind of west wind...Bring bug spray!

#3 Hunt4bigFish

Hunt4bigFish

Mate

• PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 11:52 AM

Will do, thanks BA! I hate those pesky biting flies. I loaded up on some 25% spray and squirt bottles of 100% deet. I'm familiar with the ramp, ill try my hand in that area. We plan on doing mostly shore fishing, maybe hit the local piers.

Cheers

#4 shocker pops

shocker pops

Captain

• I Support VBSF!
  • 239 posts
  • Interests:Fishing, relaxing, paintball, music
  • MY BOAT:Rodanthe Pier

Posted 24 July 2012 - 09:25 PM

Will do, thanks BA! I hate those pesky biting flies. I loaded up on some 25% spray and squirt bottles of 100% deet. I'm familiar with the ramp, ill try my hand in that area. We plan on doing mostly shore fishing, maybe hit the local piers.

Cheers

I'm partial to Rodanthe Pier, because I'm part owner. We have been seing Tarpon on a regular basis. An 84 inch hammerhead shark was landed Monday. Two weeks ago we put two King Makeral, and a 44 pound Jack Cravel on the pier. We've had a good mix of spot, croaker, sea mullet, Bluefish, spanish makeral, pompano, and flonder as well. Come check us out if you get a chance. As far as fresh bait goes, I would try Hatteras Jack's.

#5 Fishnguard

Fishnguard

Captain

• PipPipPipPip
  • 489 posts
  • Interests:Fishing, Skating, tasty waves, and my two girls lauren and summer
  • MY BOAT:2 person canoe

Posted 27 July 2012 - 08:47 PM

yeah if youre gonna be in nags head tws is prob best i just went there the past few days and theyve had it every day no luck in the surf though sounds like the pier is a lot more active nags head there were flounder and blues today and down at jeanettes there were also some spanish added in. sounds like rodanthe pier is hot wish i could have made it down there def gotta hit that next time

#6 Hunt4bigFish

Hunt4bigFish

Mate

• PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 09:29 AM

Thanks all for the info. Hit the beach by Jeanettes for most of the trip catching some round head and spot. Landed two large skates on mullet and spot head. Water was amazingly clear, was able to swim a bit too. As for bait I ended up at TWS. I also found Little Island Bridge for cast netting some finger mullet, with a few foot long mullet mixed in. I fished there for a few hrs caught two nice trout, also guy next to me caught a 5lb black drum. All in all the sun was beaming hard, and it was a bit hot, but well worth the trip. Thanks again!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

TOP RATED CHARTER BOATS

Afishinado Fishing Charters Banner