2 replies to this topic

#1 Twokeys

Twokeys

Captain

• I Sponsor VBSF
  • 169 posts
  • MY BOAT:Two keys 35ft Egg harbor Twin Cats

Posted 29 July 2012 - 07:12 PM

After last weekends canceled trip due to the wind machine...we took my nephew offshore one last time, along with his dad (my brother) Greg and Dad. We were in search of Tuna so we headed to the Parking lot and tried our luck there without a sniff. The young lad decided that we should run to. Sams Hill and try our luck...so with a little kidding..we did and, again, not a sniff. We then trolled our way over to fleet that was chunking at the Lumpy Bottom spent some time there as well with a few marks down deep but could not raise them into the spread, which I belive was due to the amount of boats. Trolled over to the crotch without a sniff..marked a few fish down again so I deployed the downrigger and managed to pull a Wahoo for the kid. That was it for the day and most boats had nothing. Boats in the canyons had Marlin. Dale

Attached Thumbnails

• wahoo.jpg

VBSF-HookedUp COMMERCIAL SUBSCRIBER

Posted Image

Flounder, Overnight Tuna, Swordfish

#2 LASwampRat

LASwampRat

Captain

• I Support VBSF!
  • 253 posts
  • Interests:Fishing, Football...
  • MY BOAT:INNAMORATA - boston whaler conquest

Posted 02 August 2012 - 12:43 PM

I'm rigging my down riggers for fast trolling. I purchased high speed planers and coated wire. Is there anything in particular u would recommend based on ur experience with down riggers?

Glad u got a wahoo!

#3 Twokeys

Twokeys

Captain

• I Sponsor VBSF
  • 169 posts
  • MY BOAT:Two keys 35ft Egg harbor Twin Cats

Posted 02 August 2012 - 01:52 PM

I'm rigging my down riggers for fast trolling. I purchased high speed planers and coated wire. Is there anything in particular u would recommend based on ur experience with down riggers?

Glad u got a wahoo!

I use a lead cannon ball off the downrigger...I have a release clip hooked to the downrigger ball that I put the braided line in when I drop it down..I first run my lure back to the distance I want before clipping into the release clip then I send it down to my desired depth. Braided line works best as it has less drag...just hook your leader into the swivel tied to the braid. This set up works for me..Dale
VBSF-HookedUp COMMERCIAL SUBSCRIBER

Posted Image

Flounder, Overnight Tuna, Swordfish

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

TOP RATED CHARTER BOATS

Afishinado Fishing Charters Banner