• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 1st Mate

1st Mate

Fish Whisperer

• I Support VBSF!
  • 1,109 posts
  • Interests:Fishing <-(-(-(-<
  • MY BOAT:"BRING EM IN" is a 23ft Wellcraft and I also have "BAY HUNTER" which is a Wilderness Systems Ride 135 Kayak

Posted 15 September 2013 - 07:44 PM

Listened to the weather forecast the day before and knew there was a blow coming. North winds at 20-25mph bringing in the cooler weather. When I see weather patterns like this I am going to be doing one thing and that is soaking fresh menhaden in the surf!! Looking back in my log book, last year September 29th was when the first cold front came in and we whacked the Puppy Drum.

Got there around 6am at 1st street in VA Beach. It was very enjoyable because no one seems to want to fish the surf and only the rail. Dad and I got set up and casted away into the white water and it didn't take long before we started getting the bite (caught the last part of the incoming tide). After 9:30am the bite had dropped off but we were going home with several Puppy Drum up to 25"inches caught on "fresh" menhaden. Great morning for sure, I really look forward to this time of year!! Good luck.......(pictured below is my dad with the biggest Puppy Drum of the morning)

2_zpsbde25b34.jpg

Everyone Should Believe In Something...I Believe I'll Go Fishing!

#2 kdfarmer

kdfarmer

Captain

• GOLD - I Support VBSF
  • 1,894 posts
  • MY BOAT:Miss Fortune, 2003 21'CC Seafox

Posted 16 September 2013 - 04:15 AM

Good job, Chris! Always good to see your dad out with ya! And it goes to show the value of keeping a log of fishing conditions and catching... why don't I keep one, then??? I really don't have an 'instant recall' kind of memory any more....
I know you believe you understand what you think I said but I am not sure
that what you heard is what I meant!

#3 1st Mate

1st Mate

Fish Whisperer

• I Support VBSF!
  • 1,109 posts
  • Interests:Fishing <-(-(-(-<
  • MY BOAT:"BRING EM IN" is a 23ft Wellcraft and I also have "BAY HUNTER" which is a Wilderness Systems Ride 135 Kayak

Posted 18 September 2013 - 04:26 PM

Thanks for the comment KD!! Keeping a log book has really helped me out in the past, it may be time consuming but it's worth it in the long run!!

Everyone Should Believe In Something...I Believe I'll Go Fishing!

#4 Fishman

Fishman

Captain

• Visitor ~ NOT A SUBSCRIBER YET?
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 10:20 AM

Thanks for the input

#5 Andrew K

Andrew K

Carolina Cast Pro - Pro Staffer

• VBSF-HookedUp - I Support VBSF
  • 3,056 posts
  • Interests:Fishing, building Fishing Rods, and Fishing. I work at and build fishing rods for the Rod Father Bait and Tackle shop in Hampton, VA. I am also on the pro staff for Carolina Cast Pro and Guides Secret Lures
  • MY BOAT:i stand on the sand

Posted 19 September 2013 - 12:27 PM

next time try fresh mullet.  thats my go-to bait for pups and drum  congrats on the pups.

Posted Image
"When you go swimming at the beach, you're entering the food chain and you're no longer on top"

#6 fish on

fish on

Captain

• Visitor ~ NOT A SUBSCRIBER YET?
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 587 posts
  • Interests:Many records of citation size species is many, fish caught from CT-FL. I have lived in CT/FL/VA and have traveled to over 38 countries, and if you have the opportunity to fish you fish. Recipient of 2002 Speckled Trout State of Virginia "Most Release" Citations.

Posted 20 September 2013 - 11:51 AM

Went yesterday for a couple of hours before sunset, the moon rising over the horizon was spectacular. Before the height of the incoming tide caught one Puppy Drum about 6-7 lbs and 25 inches, around 6-6:15PM. Caught on fresh cut Spot, good fight in the waves and heavy current. After asking some of the regulars that fish the beach there they agreed that the window of opportunity for catching the Drums is about a 30-45 min timeframe just before the tide is full, or falling. Plan your trip accordingly. Tight Lines.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

TOP RATED CHARTER BOATS

Afishinado Fishing Charters Banner