11 replies to this topic

#1 martini4me

martini4me

Angler

• Visitor ~ NOT A SUBSCRIBER YET?
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 05 September 2006 - 06:14 PM

Where are best places to catch good-sized croaker and spot right now? Usually go out of Tidewater Yacht in Portsmouth, so fairly easy to get over to MMBT. Was there yesterday and caught a bunch of croaker, but they were too small...threw most back. Any ideas where the larger ones are? Also, dropped a few lines near that Red lighthouse by the MMBT...lost two lines there....fish finder showed lots of fish...caught one nice spot on first drop (but appartently LOTS of rocks there too). Any advice about best places to fish in that area near MMBT? What size croakers is everyone averaging now?

Also worth mentioning...yesterday afternoon about 12:30 or 1pm saw 30+ dolphins swiming in elizabeth river....out from lamberts point golf course. really cool. have seen dolphins there once before, but never that many. several of us just stopped and stayed in that area for over 30 minutes watching them...swimming right up to boat. For those of you that flew through the chanel without slowing down at all, you really missed some great time with the dolphins!

thanks for any info on the croaker!! Cheers! cool_smiley.gif

#2 nocturn

nocturn

Captain

• PipPipPipPip
  • 228 posts
  • MY BOAT:"Papio II" 22' 2007 Triumph CC

Posted 05 September 2006 - 07:02 PM

Caught a Citation Croaker over the MMBT using a BIGASS croaker filet about 5 weeks ago. I caught it over the south tunnel entrance about 100 off the vent. Use big weight, big bait and be prepared to lose choke amounts of rigs...

...not that I target croaker...

YEE HAW!

#3 Knot Too Fast

Knot Too Fast

Captain

• I Support VBSF!
  • 1,085 posts
  • MY BOAT:Knot II Fast, 20 ft Stingray

Posted 05 September 2006 - 07:11 PM

NOCTURN is a sick man. As to where to catch big croaker...it depends on how far you want to go to catch them. I have caught 15-18 inch croaker at the MMBT over the tube with squid and Bloodworm fishbites. If you don't mind going to the CBBT, I spent a day this summer sifting through 18+ inch croaker to catch one 25 inch flounder. We were anchored on the ocean side of the bridge just before the bend (between the 2nd and 3rd island). Also try Hampton Bar or Buckroe Beach.

--Brett
Knot II Fast
20 ft Stingray
10 34FT Sea Ark Patrol Boats

#4 Marlin Maniac

Marlin Maniac

Captain

• PipPipPipPip
  • 3,485 posts
  • MY BOAT:19' Pro-Line Center Console

Posted 05 September 2006 - 07:49 PM

Welcome to the board Martini and thanks for the report. That red lighthouse is the Middleground Light and it marks a shoal and reef area. The reef has a lot of bridge and concrete debris, which attracts fish but eats rigs. I've got to agree with my associate, Hampton Bar is as good as any place inside the harbor for big croaker. There is a better spot, but the boats with the machine guns will run you off. It's inside of the security boom at NOB.
You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer." - Frank Zappa

#5 Captn Fatbeard

Captn Fatbeard

Captn Fatbeard

• I Sponsor VBSF
  • 2,219 posts
  • Interests:fishing, drinking, cooking, drinking, underwater basket weaving, drinking, and drinking.
  • MY BOAT:Knot Rite 2400 hydra sport CC fish killer

Posted 05 September 2006 - 08:45 PM

Between the spans at the CBBT is a awesome spot for big craoker. Box squid strips on a bottom rig will do the trick. Drift back following the tide.
"You have city hands, Mr. Hooper. You been countin' money all your life. "

#6 carolinasman

carolinasman

Captain

• PipPipPipPip
  • 662 posts
  • Interests:Fishing, duh.....golf, hunting, woodworking
  • MY BOAT:Wellcraft 23 WA

Posted 05 September 2006 - 10:06 PM

Ok, since noone has mentioned it yet, if you want to catch big croakers, one bait, peeler crabs.......and don't be chincy with the amount of bait you use.

I've caught croaker over the M&M using half a peeler crab going for striper, two times big enough to get paper on them.

Middle Ground Light as mentioned before has some good fish, but you will lose rigs, one thing I do is to rig a three way swivel with an 16-18" leader with your hook and bait, then tie off your sinker to the other end of the swivel with 6 or 8lb test, you get hung up, you only lose your sinker.

I've also caught more than one nice trout fishing the reef around MGL with this set up.

Good luck
All Americans believe that they are born fishermen. For a man to admit to a distaste for fishing would be like denouncing mother-love and hating moonlight. --John Steinbeck 1954

#7 martini4me

martini4me

Angler

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 06 September 2006 - 08:01 AM

Thanks for the info! I've been using fishbites, but just haven't been in quite the right place! we'll head over to hampton bar this weekend and give it a try! smile.gif

#8 jimbob

jimbob

Captain

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,173 posts
  • MY BOAT:ANGLER 204FX "HIPNAUTIC"

Posted 06 September 2006 - 09:45 AM

3rd island use either squid or menhaden castnet a lot of peanut menhaden and put out live on the bottem take plenty of lead if you fish near the island when the current rips somtimes you need a 16 to hold
Those of us that expect to catch fish usauly do

#9 fordbjr

fordbjr

Captain

• PipPipPipPip
  • 2,027 posts
  • MY BOAT:23' Mako

Posted 06 September 2006 - 09:45 AM

I haven't had much luck at the Bar with the big croakers. My favorite spot for the big ones is the pilings south of the 3rd island.

#10 fordbjr

fordbjr

Captain

• PipPipPipPip
  • 2,027 posts
  • MY BOAT:23' Mako

Posted 06 September 2006 - 12:31 PM

I also heard that spot are being caught at the M & M.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

TOP RATED CHARTER BOATS

Afishinado Fishing Charters Banner