10 replies to this topic

#1 Ktrain

Ktrain

Captain

• I Sponsor VBSF
  • 690 posts
  • MY BOAT:Belly Dancer

Posted 17 October 2006 - 09:21 PM

i keep reading about green stick boats outta OI what are they??? jumping-smiley-027.gif

thanks in advance

Edited by vbsfipb, 19 October 2006 - 02:20 PM.

#2 REELAX

REELAX

Captain

• Visitor ~ NOT A SUBSCRIBER YET?
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 455 posts

Posted 17 October 2006 - 11:44 PM

Greenstick info

INNOVATIVE GREEN STICK TUNA GEAR MAKES BELIEVERS OF FISHERMEN

Recently arriving to waters off the coast of North Carolina, a fishing gear new to the U.S. has shown revolutionary success in harvesting tuna, with numbers at least three times greater than traditional gear. Adoption of the "green stick" in this region comes largely from information provided by Wayne Wescott of North Carolina Sea Grant. Wescott, also a fishermen and green-stick convert, says, "the method is so attractive to tuna, that the fish strike even when they are not hungry." Designed in Japan, the "stick" is an olive-colored fiber glass pole that stretches 35-45 feet high and holds a long, high test line. That line stretches several hundred feet behind a trolling boat and is kept taut by dragging a wooden structure called a "bird." Fastened to this main line, five lines dangle artificial-squid bait that just dances on the water's surface. The incredible effectiveness of the gear has been attributed to two main factors: (1) The bait dangling at the surface of the water apparently mimics flying fish, a favorite food of tuna and (2) the bird, which evidently resembles a large predator following the bait, stimulates the tuna to strike in a competitive frenzy. According to Wescott, many vessels boast catches 12 to 15 times higher after installing green stick gear

Tom

Edited by vbsfipb, 18 October 2006 - 07:19 AM.

#3 Blowtoad

Blowtoad

Mate

• PipPipPip
  • 77 posts
  • MY BOAT:Fountain 34 CC "NO REGRETS"

Posted 18 October 2006 - 07:11 AM

Yep-- That's the rig. Cumbersome and very heavy tackle--possibility of multiple hookups on one rod. Very effective when things are slow-- but not so sporting as 1:1 pullage on lighter tackle and certainly not a rig for smaller trailerable boats,nor for when the bite is hot.
Interesting to see it used (once) or when desperate to fill the freezer. Understandable, why it is used commercially .
You can imagine ways to adapt the principal to sport fishing, such as using a dropper line off the long rigger( with a longline clip) or similarly in front of another line running a bird. Something to play with on a slow day. Bob

#4 bobdu11

bobdu11

Captain

• VBSF-HookedUp - I Support VBSF
  • 4,083 posts
  • Interests:Fishing and Motorcycles...
  • MY BOAT:Still Think'n, 28'6 Southport

Posted 18 October 2006 - 07:17 AM

yea we run Danglers off the way back center or the long rigger. Usually pull a large Marlin lure or horse hoo on a ballyhoo on the end with 3 squid as danglers. They look really good when on the troll. ...Bob
Posted Image

#5 fordbjr

fordbjr

Captain

• PipPipPipPip
  • 2,027 posts
  • MY BOAT:23' Mako

Posted 18 October 2006 - 08:02 AM

QUOTE (bobdu11 @ Oct 18 2006, 07:17 AM)
yea we run Danglers off the way back center or the long rigger.  Usually pull a large Marlin lure or horse hoo on a ballyhoo on the end with 3 squid as danglers.  They look really good when on the troll.  ...Bob

Hey bob, do have much success with your rig? I jerry rigged one onetime but then never used it out of Hatteras. Greenstickers and wind-on flourocarbon leaders about 1/2 to 3/4 of the spool of an 80 behind the boat are the only way to catch tuna in HI during the summer.

#6 fordbjr

fordbjr

Captain

• PipPipPipPip
  • 2,027 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 10:28 AM

QUOTE (vbsfipb @ Oct 18 2006, 10:08 AM)
I don't know what they're dragging on the end of the green stick these days, but back when I use to fish out of OI every week they were dragging something that was better described as a LOG than a bird .... it looked like something exploding behind the boat. You could see it splashing from a couple of miles away. I started seeing the commercial guys down there using the rig in the late 80's, its been around a while.

It's basically like a giant wooden bird. I think they call it a sled.

#7 bobdu11

bobdu11

Captain

• 4,083 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 06:29 PM

[
Hey bob, do have much success with your rig? I jerry rigged one onetime but then never used it out of Hatteras. Greenstickers and wind-on flourocarbon leaders about 1/2 to 3/4 of the spool of an 80 behind the boat are the only way to catch tuna in HI during the summer.

[/quote]

Not this year....only ran it like twice and didnt' get anything on it..sure looked cool though....we're gonna run the danglers next week out of OI. Can't fish this weekend as I've gotta go out of town again...taking a couple of days off next week to fish that YFT run they got going on downsouth.....hope they're still slaying them next week !.....Bob
Posted Image

#8 bobdu11

bobdu11

Captain

• 4,083 posts

Posted 19 October 2006 - 12:38 PM

NOAA regs. Oct 2006

http://www.nmfspermi.....ide final.pdf

Note the information on Green Sticks. If your "green stick" or your danglers number more than 2 hooks or leaders, it is considered longline gear and you must have longline permit......Other good info in here....Bob

Edited by vbsfipb, 19 October 2006 - 02:18 PM.

Posted Image

#9 fordbjr

fordbjr

Captain

• PipPipPipPip
  • 2,027 posts

Posted 19 October 2006 - 01:11 PM

Bob, did you read that as if there were 2 danglers allowed plus the third hooked bait that acts as the bird to make three hooked baits total? Or 1 dangler with the second hooked bait that acts as the bird to make 2 hooked baits total?

#10 bobdu11

bobdu11

Captain

• 4,083 posts

Posted 19 October 2006 - 02:32 PM

The way I read it is....you can have a total of 2 hooks per line. This means either pull a dead weight (Bird or big teaser without a hook) plus two danglers or 1 dangler and one trailing hook. They kind of mentioned something like this in the OI Tuna Roundup tournament this year. I don't like that rule !....Bob
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

TOP RATED CHARTER BOATS