13 replies to this topic

#1 richie

richie

Master Angler

• Visitor ~ NOT A SUBSCRIBER YET?
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 24 January 2007 - 10:21 PM

Has anyone ever taken a boat from Annapolis to Va Beach using a plotted GPS route. If so and if it worked out OK, would you mind giving me the coordinates that you used.

Thanks, Richie

#2 EARLYTIMES

EARLYTIMES

Captain

• PipPipPipPip
  • 468 posts

Posted 25 January 2007 - 07:45 AM

Ritchie,
Gradyman on this site has done that last summer. Maybe he'll chime in for you.

#3 mlbowman1

mlbowman1

Captain

• PipPipPipPip
  • 291 posts
  • MY BOAT:26' Glacier Bay 2640sx Renegade

Posted 25 January 2007 - 12:54 PM

I did it last spring. I used bouys along the way as waypoints and it worked out fine. I think I may have deleted them though. Next time I'm on the boat, I can take a look at it for you.

#4 richie

richie

Master Angler

• PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 25 January 2007 - 05:03 PM

Thanks, greatly appreciated.

Richie

#5 REELAX

REELAX

Captain

• PipPipPipPip
  • 455 posts

Posted 28 January 2007 - 03:56 AM

QUOTE (richie @ Jan 24 2007, 08:21 PM)
Has anyone ever taken a boat from Annapolis to Va Beach using a plotted GPS route. If so and if it worked out OK, would you mind giving me the coordinates that you used.

Thanks, Richie

Richie,

My folks live in Annapolis, I have made the trip numerous times. You can plot your course along the shipping channels to double check your GPS. Once your past the Potomac River the bay is more narrow. Where exactly are you headed to in Annapolis? I grew up on these waters. Once you are close you will see the bay bridge which is much smaller than the CBBT. You can also see numerous radio towers near Annapolis on the north side of the mouth of the Severn River. Once you pass Thomas Pt Lighthouse (on your left) you should be able to see the towers.

Tom

#6 Cap't Steve

Cap't Steve

Captain

• PipPipPipPip
  • 91 posts
  • MY BOAT:30' SeaRay

Posted 30 January 2007 - 02:40 PM

Richie, I did it years ago (1986) but we didn't have gps back then. cry_smiley.gif I pulled up alongside of that big lighthouse off the point & pointed her due south & steered 180. Pulled over at Solomans & gassed up again then steered 180 again until I got to the salt marsh area of Hampton. Laid up for the night & then went on over the next morning. Nice trip but I did it in March & it was cold! Enjoy yourself, I'm going to do it the other way this spring but I'm waiting until it warms up & this time I have radar & gps, & autopilot!

#7 richie

richie

Master Angler

• PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 31 January 2007 - 10:49 PM

Tom.
Actually I'm coming from Annapolis to Va Bch. I'm about to buy a trawler at the Sail Yard up there and I need to get it here. Thinking of hiring a certified Capt. to come with me but the broker says he'll show me what I need to know before I head south.
Richie

#8 REELAX

REELAX

Captain

• PipPipPipPip
  • 455 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 02:23 PM

QUOTE (richie @ Jan 31 2007, 08:49 PM)
Tom.
Actually I'm coming from Annapolis to Va Bch.  I'm about to buy a trawler at the Sail Yard up there and I need to get it here. Thinking of hiring a certified Capt. to come with me but the broker says he'll show me what I need to know before I head south.
Richie

Hey Richie,

I do not know what size boat or your experience with the local waters.. But I would think that would not be necessary. If you have a GPS it should not be that difficult. Depending on your speed it can be a 5 to 8 hour trip. Also depends on your comfort level. You could just follow the Baltimore channel down from Annapolis then once you sight the CBBT change course to your local port. That would afford you the most comfort of staying on course. You could keep double checking your position against the numbered channel buoys as you head south. The channel markers are relatively close to each other I think it would be possible to do it this way without a gps. You could just use a chart of the bay and once you site a buoy match the number against the chart.

Hope that helps..

Tom

#9 richie

richie

Master Angler

• PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 05:17 PM

Tom,
Thanks for the advice. It's a 31 footer. Fully navigational; loran,GPS,radar,sounder,auto-pilot etc., plus I have my own portable handheld GPSMAP plotter. I just want to be sure I keep away from all the resticted areas and wrecks I see splattered all over the charts. Last time I owned a boat was 20 yrs. ago, it was a small 18 foot runabout and I never went further than the second island at the CBBT.

Thanks, Richie

#10 Knot Too Fast

Knot Too Fast

Captain

• I Support VBSF!
  • 1,085 posts
  • MY BOAT:Knot II Fast, 20 ft Stingray

Posted 02 February 2007 - 06:54 AM

At a dead minimum (for safety), watch the weather closely, identify safe havens, leave a copy of the route you plan to follow (with estimated times) with someone, and enjoy your trip. As long as the safety aspect is covered and you repect the fact that underway you are vulnerable...you can relax and enjoy a great trip in your new ride.

--Brett
Knot II Fast
20 ft Stingray
10 34FT Sea Ark Patrol Boats

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

TOP RATED CHARTER BOATS

Afishinado Fishing Charters Banner