8 replies to this topic

#1 btwodu

btwodu

Angler

• Visitor ~ NOT A SUBSCRIBER YET?
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 12 May 2007 - 10:05 AM

I have fished Mt. Trashmore (both lakes) and have only lost a bunch of tackle and caught no fish. Where is the best spot to reach the fish there? Has anyone ever caught anything from there before?

#2 etsatcom

etsatcom

Angler

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 May 2007 - 11:50 AM

I posted this a while back. I have had luck there in the past. What are you using as tackle?

Here is my original post:

I have fished at Trashmore for the last 7 years. From what I have personally caught in the lake includes: Sunfish, Crappie, Largemouth Bass, Carp, and Catfish. I have witnessed other fishermen catch a walleye, and a few striped bass. Now I know some of you don't believe it, but these two guys were fishing there at night (against the rules) with large shiners from the small sand beach in Lake Trashmore and I witnessed them pull in 2 striped bass. They had said that they were in there previously on a different day, but I was not buying the story, but when I witnessed it I became a believer. I am not sure how the population has survived, as I am not even sure how deep the lake is, or where they would spawn, but according to these gentlemen the lake has not been stocked in quite some time 10+ years with striper, but they were there. One other thing you might be interested in trying is the lake behind Mt. Trashmore. It is brackish water and offers lots of Carp as well as many salt water species. I have personally caught over 50 carp out of there (my target fish), and I have seen everything from some sort of salt water bait fish to blue crabs to a huge dead drum (have a picture to prove it) in that lake. If you have little luck in Lake Trashmore, you could try the other lake (Lake Windsor is how it is labeled on a map). I have always found success in Lake Trashmore with live bait, especially nightcrawlers (I take my godson fishing there). Most consistent spot on the lake is the point by the recreational structures (where people have picnics) on the mountain side of the lake, there is a sharp drop off on the point from 5 to 11 feet of water. Lake Windsor seems to be vulnerable to artificial lures (for gamefish) and corn (for carp). Good luck in either lake, you might not catch a few dozen fish, but what you do catch is respectable. Just make sure to throw back what you catch, the reports others have cited about the mercury is true. Good Luck.

#3 TReese

TReese

Master Angler

• PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 05 July 2007 - 08:43 PM

I know this is an old topic but I thought I would add my two cents worth.

I just fished Lake Trashmore this evening and had nothing but good luck. I was fishing a Berkley Gulp! Chartruse Minnow Grub on a 1/8 Jighead and managed to catch a 5lb Walleye, nice sized White Perch, 10lb Channel Catfish, decent sized Crappie, and a few very small white perch. I also hooked into something that busted my 8lb test mono so I'm not sure what it was.

There are some nice sized fish in that lake but I would be very hesitant to eat anything that came out of there.

Don't seem to have any luck during the middle of the day there but during the early morning hours and just around sunset is your best bet.

#4 mackmeister

mackmeister

Angler

• Pip
  • 10 posts
  • Interests:Catching Flounder, Spanish Mackerel, Redfish, and Crappie.

Posted 07 July 2007 - 09:26 AM

I fished there last night with some friends (for the first time) and we did alright. We used the Berkley Gulp as well and we caught White Perch, Catfish, Crappie, and a 3 lbs Walleye.

#5 TReese

TReese

Master Angler

• PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 07 July 2007 - 12:39 PM

QUOTE (mackmeister @ Jul 7 2007, 10:26 AM)
I fished there last night with some friends (for the first time) and we did alright.  We used the Berkley Gulp as well and we caught White Perch, Catfish, Crappie, and a 3 lbs Walleye.

Mackmeister were you also using the Chartruse?

Where were you catching them at? I was on the South West end near Holland road. Thinking of trying another spot on the Eastern side later today.

#6 mackmeister

mackmeister

Angler

• Pip
  • 10 posts
  • Interests:Catching Flounder, Spanish Mackerel, Redfish, and Crappie.

Posted 08 July 2007 - 08:01 AM

We were using Chartruse. We caught fish along the beach and i think it was the area near Holland.

#7 kolbewhite

kolbewhite

Angler

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Interests:Fishing, surfing, guitar
  • MY BOAT:N/A

Posted 03 July 2013 - 06:31 PM

Hey I know this is an old post but I wanted to give all the information I could because I recently went there and after fishing contuously for 4 weeks I think I can help everyone out.

The front lake (Lake Trashmore) was originally a sandpit uses to make the hill behind it. Because of this is was over 95 feet deep in certain places. After several people drowned the park office decides to build up huge reefs from dead Christmas trees and other flora. They used to allow boats on the lake but pollution has been too bad to allow people back out on the water. Swimming and wading are forbidden because although the water is shallow early on, there is a cliff with a 19 foot drop only 10 feet from any shoreline. Now the deepest parts of the water are around 20- 25 feet deep and are patchy and scattered throughout the 19 foot bottom.
In previous years the Department of Inland Fisheries stocked the Lake with Largemouth Bass and Wall eye, but because there is little attraction to fisherman, they have stopped the stocking.
Lake Trashmore contains small pickerel, sunfish, white perch, and eels, although the eels are rare.
Bigger fish include Largemouth Bass (I caught a 5lber), orange carp (caught a 9lber) channel catfish (caught an 8lber), Blue Catfish (caught 6lber).
Although they may have been stocked i did not catch any Walleye while i was out there. Nor did i see any striper, smallmouth bass, or crappie. That doesnt mean theyre not their, i just didnt see them.
I fished with corn and caught huge carp and cats. I used nightcrawlers and caught the Largemouth, smaller cats, the Blue cat, and the smaller pickerel, sunfish, and perch.
There are also a lot snags on the bottom so be prepared to lose a little bit of gear.
THE ON MAJOR PROBLEM I ENCOUNTERED AT TRASHMORE LAKE was turtles. I used a small pickerel i snagged and put him on a treble and a light weight. He swam around for a bit and finally the line ran. I set the hook and fought for a bit until the line shot back at me. 20lb nylon fiber leader had been bitten in half. After telling the park office they told me that there are alligator snapping turtles in the lake. Some reaching 40lbs!!!

The park office also said that they have caught a 28lb channel catfish out of the lake recently and that with enough provocation via surveys from fisherman, inland fisheries will start restocking the lake! Everything at the time is catch and release (although i didnt know that until after i ate the 8lb channel cat: delicious)

Inland fisheries did a test of a large number of the fish last year and said that the Largemouth and carp contain high levels of mercury, so be careful.

I hope this was helpful, please email me with any more questions and i will be able to answer them for you.

#8 kolbewhite

kolbewhite

Angler

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Interests:Fishing, surfing, guitar
  • MY BOAT:N/A

Posted 03 July 2013 - 06:49 PM

Also, the reeds on the parking lot side of the lake are home to a rather vicious group of chiggers. I would spray up if you want to fish that side

#9 Marlin Maniac

Marlin Maniac

Captain

• PipPipPipPip
  • 3,480 posts
  • MY BOAT:19' Pro-Line Center Console

Posted 04 July 2013 - 01:05 PM

A quick look at Google Earth shows that Lake Windsor is connected by a creek to the western branch of the Lynnhaven River. That's where your crabs come from.
You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer." - Frank Zappa

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

TOP RATED CHARTER BOATS

Afishinado Fishing Charters Banner