#1 Sandbridge_surf_caster

Sandbridge_surf_caster

Angler

• Visitor ~ NOT A SUBSCRIBER YET?
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
  • Interests:Fishing, Duck Hunting, Golf

Posted 30 May 2007 - 10:59 AM

I wanted to try and do some Shark fishing this summer in the surf. I have caught a couple of small sand sharks by accident but I would like to try and catch some decent size shark on purpose. If anyone can give me any tips or advice on hook size, bait rig and presentation, and of course bait types, it would be greatly appreciated. Of course I do most all of my fishing in the sandbridge area. shark_smiley.gif

#2 hellmanbb

hellmanbb

Captain

• PipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts
  • MY BOAT:Babydoll 20' Wellcraft CC

Posted 30 May 2007 - 02:02 PM

I have some buddies in OBX that will take large bait, (tuna heads, whole blues etc..) run it out several hundred yards on heavy gear using a jetski.

#3 bovoo

bovoo

Angler

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 08:27 PM

Just remember VB City code states no targeting of shark within 500 ft of the beach sad.gif gulf coast shark fishing has a lot of posts, too.

#4 srhendricks

srhendricks

Angler

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 06 June 2007 - 10:56 AM

I was at Hatteras point last weekend, and sharks seemed to be the only thing biting. Must've caught 7 or 8 within a few hours

#5 m.melius

m.melius

Master Angler

• PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 06 June 2007 - 01:50 PM

you can target sharks in sandbridge, its not part of va beach, but i would recomend going down towards the pier so as people dont get pissed off that they are swiming with sharks. that and there are several places that hold sharks down in the OBX. there are several wrecks close to shore through out the OBX. actually come to think about it there is a wreck south of the pier close to shore. i will have to look it up for you. but all those wrecks definatly hold sharks.

#6 m.melius

m.melius

Master Angler

• PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 07 June 2007 - 10:02 AM

oh the wreck i was talkinf about south of the pier, i was talking about the pier in sandbridge.

#7 Sandbridge_surf_caster

Sandbridge_surf_caster

Angler

• Pip
  • 16 posts
  • Interests:Fishing, Duck Hunting, Golf

Posted 07 June 2007 - 01:01 PM

QUOTE (m.melius @ Jun 7 2007, 10:02 AM)
oh the wreck i was talkinf about south of the pier, i was talking about the pier in sandbridge.

sweet I will have to check into that, Thanks.

#8 brody

brody

Angler

• Pip
  • 17 posts
  • Interests:fishing , hunting
  • MY BOAT:not yet but soon !

Posted 07 June 2007 - 04:20 PM

QUOTE (m.melius @ Jun 6 2007, 02:50 PM)
you can target sharks in sandbridge, its not part of va beach, but i would recomend going down towards the pier so as people dont get pissed off that they are swiming with sharks. that and there are several places that hold sharks down in the OBX. there are several wrecks close to shore through out the OBX. actually come to think about it there is a wreck south of the pier close to shore. i will have to look it up for you. but all those wrecks definatly hold sharks.

Hey that wreck is just alittle south of little island park . i think it's right before the ramp from back bay

#9 Marlin Maniac

Marlin Maniac

Captain

• PipPipPipPip
  • 3,486 posts
  • MY BOAT:19' Pro-Line Center Console

Posted 07 June 2007 - 09:38 PM

Sandbridge is part of the City of Virginia Beach and the people there are real touchy about shark fishing, ever since a boy was killed there by a bull shark a couple of years ago. You can fish, but no chumming or chunking is allowed. Now at Hatteras the standard used to be the shark fishermen typically fished at night. The bluefish would tear everything up in the daytime, and move offshore at night. The sharks, some very large, would follow the blood trail, move in and clean up the mess at night, kind of like an oceanic janitorial crew. I've heard stories of dusky's and tigers approaching 1,000 lbs being caught in the suds back in the day. Cape Point is a noted hangout for large coastal sharks. Good luck and tight lines.
You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer." - Frank Zappa

#10 holdallcalls

holdallcalls

Angler

• Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 08 June 2007 - 01:37 PM

QUOTE (Marlin Maniac @ Jun 7 2007, 10:38 PM)
Sandbridge is part of the City of Virginia Beach and the people there are real touchy about shark fishing, ever since a boy was killed there by a bull shark a couple of years ago. You can fish, but no chumming or chunking is allowed. Now at Hatteras the standard used to be the shark fishermen typically fished at night. The bluefish would tear everything up in the daytime, and move offshore at night. The sharks, some very large, would follow the blood trail, move in and clean up the mess at night, kind of like an oceanic janitorial crew. I've heard stories of dusky's and tigers approaching 1,000 lbs being caught in the suds back in the day. Cape Point is a noted hangout for large coastal sharks.  Good luck and tight lines.

Sandbridge is part of Va Beach and I do not believe that shark fishing is allowed from the Little Island Pier. I live in Sandbridge and hope no one starts bringing sharks up to the beach when I have my nieces and nephews visiting.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

TOP RATED CHARTER BOATS

Afishinado Fishing Charters Banner