Virginia Beach Fishing

You can support VBSF.net by becoming a GOLD SUPPORTER Today!

Sign in to follow this  
Guest cibnhoj

Gray trout & Blue recipes

Guest cibnhoj

Whats a good way of cooking up some nice trout and blue fish? In the past I always threw them back (real oily) but I heard they were good eating. Any suggestions would be great.

And Rudie is full of 16" Grays, they were hitting on a little of everything, mainly small (Yumm) grubs, white w/white 1/8oz heads.

VBSF.net | Fishing Reports From Virginia Beach VA To Hatteras NC 

Guest Fish Dad

You can cook the trout just about any way you like and it will come out great.

The bluefish requires special preparation.

Bluefish fillets

An Old Shoe

Salad dressing

Salt and pepper

Skin the bluefish, (no need to scale it if you remove the skin) cut the fillets down to the back bone. Place the filets in the old shoe on a broiler pan.

Baste the filets and shoe with a mayonnaise based salad dressing (creamy cucumber works well). Add salt and pepper.

Broil for approximately 10 minutes, or until the fish is just turning light brown.

Remove from broiler pan.

Toss the bluefish fillets in the trash.

Eat the shoe.

Yummmmmy.

Bluefish fillets

An Old Shoe

Salad dressing

Salt and pepper

Skin the bluefish, (no need to scale it if you remove the skin) cut the fillets down to the back bone. Place the filets in the old shoe on a broiler pan.

Baste the filets and shoe with a mayonnaise based salad dressing (creamy cucumber works well). Add salt and pepper.

Broil for approximately 10 minutes, or until the fish is just turning light brown.

Remove from broiler pan.

Eat the shoe.

Yummmmmy.

i dont care who you are thats funny

Bluefish fillets

An Old Shoe

Salad dressing

Salt and pepper

Remove from broiler pan.

Eat the shoe.

Yummmmmy.

:laughing-smiley-014:

Make cakes out of your bluefish, they're delicious.

For each 1lb of meat

Remove skin, cut out all the bones and dark meat you can

boil in water until done

set in the fridge till it cools

mash it up

add 1 tablespoon mayo

1 tablespoon mustard

as much Old Bay as you want

1 egg

10-12 Ritz crackers or bread crumbs

Mix up and form cakes

set them in the fridge for 20 minutes

cook on medium heat in oil until they're golden brown

Bluefish recipe i heard from a old fisherman.

Take the bluefish, cut the head off, scale it, and gut it.

Take the fish, and get a small board, like hickory.

Put whatever seasoning, or stuffing in/on bluefish.

Set fish on board in oven, cook at 350 for 15-20 minutes depending on your oven and fish size.

Take out of oven, and set to cool for a minute or so, then discard fish and eat the board. :laughing-smiley-014:

Bluefish recipe i heard from a old fisherman.

Take the bluefish, cut the head off, scale it, and gut it.

Take the fish, and get a small board, like hickory.

Put whatever seasoning, or stuffing in/on bluefish.

Set fish on board in oven, cook at 350 for 15-20 minutes depending on your oven and fish size.

Take out of oven, and set to cool for a minute or so, then discard fish and eat the board. :laughing-smiley-014:

my grandfather always said thats the recipe for carp

Guest fishtank

I think that small bluefish taste great! I only keep the ones in the 12-16 in. range for eating. The rest I keep for cut bait. Buy a fish cooking basket for your grill. I have two and it is about the ONLY way that I cook fish anymore. The baskets have a great fold-over, locking design so that you can place the fillets directly on the grill and cook them without sticking or having the meat fall apart. They claim to be Non-Stick, but, Just make sure that the basket is allways clean and sprayed with no-stick cooking oil before you lock the fillets in. Now the Trick! I Marinate all of my fish fillets in a mixture of Orange juice and a squeeze of Lime juice for about 10 mins. BEFORE I put them in the basket. While they are Marinating, I melt some Butter and Dill Weed and A touch of Old Bay in a bowl in the microwave. Mix in a few tablespoons of the marinade liquid and stir well. Place the fillets in the basket and securely lock into place. When you place the fish basket on the grill, Generously baste the tops of the fillets with the butter mixture. This will cause a pretty good flare up. Immediately put down the lid to choke the flame down and produce plenty of Smoke. Don't touch it for 2 mins. Flip the basket over and repeat the basting, flare up and smoking. Wait 2 more mins. Flip the basket one final time, baste and close the lid and let cook for 2 more mins. It's Fast, Easy and The flavor will be great! Try It!

Big bluefish are great in the smoker. Just fillet them, remove the skin, cut out the dark meat and marinade the cook in Capt. Morgan's and Diet Coke. Then call Domino's. Smoked bluefish also freezes well. Better than the cook does anyway.