Virginia Beach Fishing

You can support VBSF.net by becoming a GOLD SUPPORTER Today!

Marlin Maniac

Spiny dogfish are edible

I hadn't really considered dogfish as food, but I just checked up on them. Here's an article on them and a recipe. Anyone out there ever tried them?

http://www.ocean.udel.edu/mas/seafood/spinydogfish.html

I understand they are the primary fish used in British fish and chips. Here's some additional infor on preparing them:

The spiny dogfish is marketed in the United States under the name cape shark. It is marketed in Great Britain under the name rock salmon. The name "spiny" originates from spines located on the front of each dorsal fin. Dogfish, like other sharks, do not have a skeletal system composed of bone, but rather of cartilage. Also like sharks, the dogfish lacks a urinary tract. Urine in dogfish collects in the bloodstream and is then secreted through the skin. Because of this captured dogfish must be bled quickly and dressed otherwise the uric acid in the blood will contaminate the meat.

So bleed them and gut them before throwing them in the cooler. I'll be giving this a shot later this year. Just when I thought I had found a cheap, effective flounder bait, the bait might be better than the flounder!

VBSF.net | Fishing Reports From Virginia Beach VA To Hatteras NC 

George in my surf fishing days camping on the beach in HI before the poor plovers needed more room we did eat several of these dog sharks. They were actual very good with a little lemon pepper on a skillet fire. We did gut them immediately before hitting the cooler. If you cook them and you smell amonia ..do not eat because they have urinated throughout.

Todd

The good ole days ?!

George,

We caught several last Friday while drifting for flounder and my son kept one. He grilled it and said it was pretty good. I didn't try it as I was eating Tog!! :P

I have always wanted to try one because I heard they were good tablefare but in the 2 years I have been here I have never caught one. I have hooked a couple but they cut the line. ( I kow, some people think I am blessed because I have never caught one)

A friend of mine and I made a stew out of one at Hatteras several years ago. It was good, the meat really didn't have much flavor. Of course we had been hitting the Coors Lights pretty hard so anything would have been good!

I hadn't really considered dogfish as food, but I just checked up on them. Here's an article on them and a recipe. Anyone out there ever tried them?

http://www.ocean.udel.edu/mas/seafood/spinydogfish.html

I understand they are the primary fish used in British fish and chips. Here's some additional infor on preparing them:

The spiny dogfish is marketed in the United States under the name cape shark. It is marketed in Great Britain under the name rock salmon. The name "spiny" originates from spines located on the front of each dorsal fin. Dogfish, like other sharks, do not have a skeletal system composed of bone, but rather of cartilage. Also like sharks, the dogfish lacks a urinary tract. Urine in dogfish collects in the bloodstream and is then secreted through the skin. Because of this captured dogfish must be bled quickly and dressed otherwise the uric acid in the blood will contaminate the meat.

So bleed them and gut them before throwing them in the cooler. I'll be giving this a shot later this year. Just when I thought I had found a cheap, effective flounder bait, the bait might be better than the flounder!

Hey George,

Sorry to correct you on this but sharks, including dogfish, do not secrete urine through their skin, instead they concentrate uric acid in their blood to prevent the diffusion of water out of their cells into the surronding seawater due to osmosis (basically they maintain their body cells at the same salinity as the surronding seawater). Bony fish on the other hand drink huge amounts of seawater to maintain their osmontic balance. All fish, including sharks, have one body waste exit point called the cloaca which is used to eliminate both urinary and intestinal waste.

Anyway, I don't mean to sound like some boring science teacher but thought you might be interested in some shark biology.

Pete

My friend and I got some sand bar sharks in the net off 53rd street and they were delicious. I do remember the stench when cleaning them though, my buddy actually puked. :lol:

I think my ex wife was capable of excreting urine through her skin, provided I arrived home late and tipsy enough...........