Virginia Beach Fishing

Long Bay Pointe

Bait & Tackle

Fiberglass Repair

Long Bay Pointe

Rudee Head Boats

Sign in to follow this  

Awesome Recipe (can use with TOG /other fish!!) YUM

Submitted by Beth Synowiec (Classicrockfish)

Ok So we got the fresh tautog and flounder... now what? Do we broil them bake them or fry them? I would have said a week ago to bake it but I saw this stuff in a nearby Asian grocery store which I just wandered into and decided to give this a try instead and boy was it amazing! YUM! So here goes. If your wife said "no" to fishing trip on the holiday weekend already... try this one and see what happens. You may just come home the next day and see your wife in the driveway waiting for you with the boat key in hand and her blessings for your fishing trip. Here are the directions..... I highly recommend using fresh tautog or flounder.....

( I tried this with fresh tog, if you only have frozen you all know to squeeze a lemon on it and rub it in and then rinse it lightly to remove the smell )

1) At first I mixed the tempura (see picture) as instructed on the back of the bag ..It called for 1 cup of water with 3/4 cup of tempura on the back of the bag. ( ***after this I noticed the batter seemed a little thin so then I ***added some extra batter to thicken it up a bit. Stir to remove any lumps.

2) Open the bag of Panko bread crumbs (Japaneze style) ( red labeled bag.. see picture) and lay them out on a large flat plate.

3) Rinse fresh fillet of tautog off for 10 seconds to remove any scales or blood. (I did not even need lemon on my tog cause they were caught yesterday.)

4) Pat the fish dry and cut into 3 or 4 inch pieces or chunks.

5) (Like an assembly line) Dip the fish pieces in the batter on both sides and then press onto the plate with the Panko bread crumbs. You may add salt to the pieces prior to frying for some extra flavor.

6) My frying pan had taller sides about a 2 to 2 1/2 inch sides to hold about an inch or so of oil.. USE 100 % natural PEANUT Oil in the pan. Set heat at medium high. ( oil does not smoke.. You are not blackening the fish)

7) Pieces will take 2 to 3 minutes on the first side and about a minute on the other side after you flip it.

Keep your eye on it after you cook a few you will be able to see the white in the center and will know when it is done......place on paper towel after cooking to drain excess oil..... Now here is the fun part... Eating it... I loved it so much I had some batter left over and I cut up a sweet onion and made onion rings and then I even cut up a turnip my neighbor gave me. I have never eaten a turnip before but after tasting this one I can guarantee I will cook one like this again. Add a little salt and it was awesome. You have to make sure the turnip is fully cooked and it actually tasted sweet..My house smells amazing.. My kids were begging for the veggies and to top it off my youngest, Clara who doesn't usually like fish asked for seconds tonight. Hope you enjoy the recipe as much as we did.....Bon appetite! Beth

• Like 1

Sounds good Beth! I am glad you added the pics- I was wondering how I would pick out the Tempura batter mix and then saw that it was in the small print :P