Bait & Tackle

Fiberglass Repair

Long Bay Pointe

Marina 

Rudee Head Boats

Sign in to follow this  
nightrunner

Cruiser or Walkaround

I have an old 20' CC and am thinking about upgrade to a cruiser or W/A.

If cruiser, 24-25', 8'6", W/A, 21-24, 8'6", because they have to be towable and less than 6000 lbs. My truck's towing rating is 9500 lbs but I think 6000 lbs is practical.

But the question is, for a W/A, you can fish the bow(by squeezing thru that narrow path). But the cabin is really nothing more than a place to hide away from the rain. and i think it will be too hot in the summer.

For a cruiser, can you go to the bow and stand there? The cabin is much nicer and I can really sleep there.

Or, a pilot house?

The boat will be used on the potomac and in the bay, for fishing.

Thanks!

VBSF.net | Fishing Reports From Virginia Beach VA To Hatteras NC 

I always tell people to really gut check what they want to do in a boat. I know it is hard to do, but ask yourself, will you really spend the night sleeping in the cabin? I have a cabin, and my daughter has taken a few naps in it, about it. Makes a great place to put gear, but if I was spending alot of time casting, I would want a CC. I have had my boat for nearly 5 years now, and I still think every year say will go over night in it for Stripers or Drum, still has not happened! Too many idiots on the water for me to climb in a cabin and sleep.

It is nearly imposible to fish on my Bow in any condition, true you can set there with a rod, but it is a royal pain in the ass whenever i try it.

I also have a CC- have been thinking about some of the pilot house's I have seen, that they would offer a little more shelter and still be fishable off the bow but will likely go with a hard top and curtains to make my center console a little safer and drier in rockfish season. Like Eric said, you have to figure out what you really want out of your boat.

I have a 23` Walk Around and rarely use the bow area.

But, when I do it is a life saver, great for splashing the

anchor, which I also use rarely. The cabin is big enough to

grab a nap or spend the nite, but not a week...I`m not

sure if I had it to do again what I would go with, probably

another WA..

Capt.Skid

Love our 23wa, works great with hardtop to get away from sun in the summer and better with curtains to escape the wind while fishing the bay in the winter. Cabin is a great storage area and thats what its used for. Battled the largest AJ landed on our boat from the bow and it worked out pretty good, very wide walk area that takes up cabin space. Good luck with the search.

What makes you "rarely" use the bow area?

Is it because

1. difficult to stand on/sit on and cast?

2. difficult to walk to?(the rails at the walkway look pretty low on a lot of 21-24'WA), thinking 5'9", 200 lbs of weight leaning/pushing against them while anchorded in 3-4 foot of waves?

3. Or just no need to fish from there?

So, my understanding is :1. with a cruiser you can never fish from the bow. 2. WA is good for one night on the water which is just what I need. don't have that many vacation days anyway.

I have a 23` Walk Around and rarely use the bow area.

another WA..

Capt.Skid

What makes you "rarely" use the bow area?

Is it because

1. difficult to stand on/sit on and cast?

2. difficult to walk to?(the rails at the walkway look pretty low on a lot of 21-24'WA), thinking 5'9", 200 lbs of weight leaning/pushing against them while anchorded in 3-4 foot of waves?

3. Or just no need to fish from there?

So, my understanding is :1. with a cruiser you can never fish from the bow. 2. WA is good for one night on the water which is just what I need. don't have that many vacation days anyway.

<!--quoteo(post=113906:date=Nov 14 2009, 09:03 AM:name=Capt.Skid)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Capt.Skid @ Nov 14 2009, 09:03 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=113906"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I have a 23` Walk Around and rarely use the bow area.

another WA..

Capt.Skid<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I don`t use the bow area very often because I fish alone 90% of the time

and just don`t use it..My grandson loves it up front, he calls

it his private space.. My side rails and bow rails, all one piece

that wraps from one side to the other are more than adaquit. I`m on

the large size of 250 lbs. and I can reach the bow area without alot

of trouble. If I did it again,I would buy another WA/Cuddy over a

reg. cuddy with limited access to the bow. Most people won`t fit well through the access hatch to the bow. Sorry this reply is so late,but I haven`t checked this

forum in a long while..

Capt.Skid

we have a GW GUlfstream 232 and love it. this is probably the best WA on the market. I can easily walk all the way around and fish the front of the boat all the time. the cabin can sleep three and has a toilet and sink. of course, it is also a family boat. I have a 3 year old so a cabin is a must. me, my wife, and our son have spent the night on it with no problems. the hard top and full curtains are great for those cold days striper fishing. if I did not have the family and only wanted a fishing boat I would probably go for the CC.

Joe

I have an old 20' CC and am thinking about upgrade to a cruiser or W/A.

If cruiser, 24-25', 8'6", W/A, 21-24, 8'6", because they have to be towable and less than 6000 lbs. My truck's towing rating is 9500 lbs but I think 6000 lbs is practical.

But the question is, for a W/A, you can fish the bow(by squeezing thru that narrow path). But the cabin is really nothing more than a place to hide away from the rain. and i think it will be too hot in the summer.

For a cruiser, can you go to the bow and stand there? The cabin is much nicer and I can really sleep there.

Or, a pilot house?

The boat will be used on the potomac and in the bay, for fishing.

Thanks!

May I suggest a Hydrasport. I have a 06 2500vx express. I can walk around to the bow with no problem. Weight maxed w/trailer is 8000lb. I tow w/ a Duramax 2500hd.Plenty of truck for this rig. Very economical w/twin f150s. 23deg deadrise for rough seas and smooth ride. cabin can sleep 2. 12v/120v refrig. micro small stove. fresh water. If this sounds like something you are interested in, check out the web site. As far as hot in the summer, I have 2 12v fans that i run for my guests, if they get hot.