Virginia Beach Fishing

You can support VBSF.net by becoming a GOLD SUPPORTER Today!

MYTOYZ

Bait tank pump

Anyone have any suggestions on how to replace my wash down/bait tank pump? the only way i can see how to do it would be to remove both batteries and try to wiggle my way through the battery door to get to the pump which is down in the bilge area.

VBSF.net | Fishing Reports From Virginia Beach VA To Hatteras NC 

Normally there is an access door above the pump/bilge area. It may not look big enough to work through but it can be done. Look for a round hatch with a bunch of screws above or forward of the bilge. There HAS to be a way in- I can't figure even an engineer designing something you have to crawl through the battery access to get to! And are you sure you are looking at the washdown pump and not the bilge (are there 2 pumps down there)? And no, I am not saying you are overlooking the obvious or don't know what you are looking at- you are there and I am an armchair advisor but my thinking has been flawed in the past. It is easy to do until you are REALLY familiar with your boat and even then can happen. Good luck- hope this helps or someone else can!

Thanks for the tips. Yea i have an access port right above it but it is only 12" wide and its to far of an reach to really do anything. Yea Its not the bilge pump its directly below that opening. This is deff the bait well/wash down pump. its mounted on the side of the bilge area.

I have the same problem. I have had to replace both aireator pumps, both macerator pumps and both the fresh water and salt water washdown pumps. The electrical was a mess on my boat also, so I redid the whole nine yards. My arms are not long enough to reach the pumps through the little access. I had to remove the battery hatch cover and both batteries to wiggle my short fanny down there and then have someone topside to hand me the tools, etc. It's really hard to make good electrical connections if you are not right there on top of it. Needless to say, it is NOT a fun job!! sport-smiley-005.gif

Don't forget to hook a tow line to your ankles and use a remote contro winch to back out if you don't have good help standing by! :laughing-smiley-002: I managed mine using one arm down the battery hatch and one through the access- good luck, excercise patience and quit for a while if it gets the best of you. Hopefully when its done you will say 'no worries'!

Well i was able to get to the pump through the little acces port on top even though it took some choice words to get it out. I could just barely reach. Glad i pulled it out. the inlet side of the pump were the strainer is was cracked preatty much all the way around. bad news is that the fittings on the new pump are a diffrent size than the existing house. So I will be getting new fittings tomorrow. Oh and I'm relocating the pump up need the battery door so I can get to it easier in order to keep the strainer clean.

Sweet! Glad you got it out without getting stuck- it SUPPOSED to be possible through the access if you have the arms of a skinny orangatang! My arms are long enough but I am getting too thick all over!

Anyone have any suggestions on how to replace my wash down/bait tank pump? the only way i can see how to do it would be to remove both batteries and try to wiggle my way through the battery door to get to the pump which is down in the bilge area.

Got pictures?