Virginia Beach Fishing

You can support VBSF.net by becoming a GOLD SUPPORTER Today!

Gman

Trailer Brake Service

Anyone know a good person/company who works on trailer brakes? Mine are surge disk brakes. The brakes work but they are not completely retracting on one side.

Thanks for any leads,

Garett

VBSF.net | Fishing Reports From Virginia Beach VA To Hatteras NC 

Portsmouth Trailer! Great service!

You might be able to get some more time out of them if you remove the calipers and clean them up. Anyone comfortable with automotive brakes could help you. Remove the wheel, unbolt the caliper and pads and have someone else pump the actuator to push the piston out some. Use some good brake cleaner/rust cutter to clean up the piston, a little steel wool to clean the rust off what you can reach of the inside of the caliper itself. Open the bleeder and push the piston back in, close the bleeder. If it goes to the shop, it will get done better- go ahead and replace both calipers and pads on both sides. The rotors may also be pretty bad, but you can peek at them through the wheels. It won't be cheap but you will know your brakes are right. Finally, pay special attention to rinseing your brakes off when you flush your motor. They also make a kit to hook your hose up to to flush the brakes from the inside. It might be worth looking at, though I have never had one! You might also research the rotors, pads and calipers for your application- often, someone has crossed the application over to a car and the parts will be much cheaper!

Portsmouth Trailer! Great service!

dido's .... they have been at it for years!

You might be able to get some more time out of them if you remove the calipers and clean them up. Anyone comfortable with automotive brakes could help you. Remove the wheel, unbolt the caliper and pads and have someone else pump the actuator to push the piston out some. Use some good brake cleaner/rust cutter to clean up the piston, a little steel wool to clean the rust off what you can reach of the inside of the caliper itself. Open the bleeder and push the piston back in, close the bleeder. If it goes to the shop, it will get done better- go ahead and replace both calipers and pads on both sides. The rotors may also be pretty bad, but you can peek at them through the wheels. It won't be cheap but you will know your brakes are right. Finally, pay special attention to rinseing your brakes off when you flush your motor. They also make a kit to hook your hose up to to flush the brakes from the inside. It might be worth looking at, though I have never had one! You might also research the rotors, pads and calipers for your application- often, someone has crossed the application over to a car and the parts will be much cheaper!

Thanks for the great info Kevin. I'll try to take a look this weekend. I used to do brakes on my cars so I have some familiarity. I usually hire this stuff out now but, in this case, it may actually be faster to take a look myself. I'll let you know how it goes. Appreciate all your help on the board. Hope to see you on the water some time, I would welcome you on my boat any time. Garett