Virginia Beach Fishing

You can support VBSF.net by becoming a GOLD SUPPORTER Today!

Sign in to follow this  
thefishbum

Summer fly fishing spots

Hello all I am fairly new here moved out from california and was wondering if there was any good places to fly fish around the virginia beach area, doesn't matter what fish I am not picky I just love to fly fish and would greatly appreciate any info from the people with all the knowledge on the best places for tossing a fly. Thanks for taking the time, tight lines to all.

VBSF.net | Fishing Reports From Virginia Beach VA To Hatteras NC 

Hello all I am fairly new here moved out from california and was wondering if there was any good places to fly fish around the virginia beach area, doesn't matter what fish I am not picky I just love to fly fish and would greatly appreciate any info from the people with all the knowledge on the best places for tossing a fly. Thanks for taking the time, tight lines to all.

Fly fishing is excellent in this area - unfortunately for the most part you need a boat. A couple of places that come to mind are the Hampton Roads Bridge Tunnel, the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnal, Rudee Inlet, and Lynhaven inlet.

If you do not have a boat, there are a couple of options:

I have not tried it, but some people fly fish in the surf off Sandbridge for Redfish with good success.

A little later in the year there can be some excellent fly fishing in the Outerbanks area in North Carolina that does not require a boat. Starting around October trout fishing is pretty good at Oregon Inlet - as I recall, Oregon Inlet is 1 1/2 - 2 hours from Virginia Beach. You can wade out quite a ways and fish some of the holes that hold some pretty nice trout. October is also a good time to fly fish for stripers at the old bridge at Manns Harbor near Manteo (also at the Outerbanks). You fish right at the base of the Western side of the bridge.

Very few people that frequent this site flyfish, but there are two websites dedicated to kayak fishing that you may want to check out. Several of those guys flyfish and you can see where & what they are catching.

http://www.piratesoflynnhaven.org/

http://www.tkaa.org/

This info is sort of general but perhaps it can help you get started.

Welcome to the area and to the website.

Charlie

There are also lots of freshwater areas available although I am not from the area- others can help you out. Look for the reservoirs, ICW, and Back Bay going out towards Sandbridge. Check out the freshwater thread on this forum!

thanks for the advice I appreciate it, I will have to take some time to venture off and find some more fly fishing spots I appreciate the info though, thanks.

Also - check with Crab Creek Outfitters on Shore Drive. They are a fly fishing shop and can probably help you.

FishBum,

I always enjoy tooling about on the south side of Rudee Inlet (Croatan). You can wade out near the jetty and there's various structure to fish about. Feel free to PM me for parking directions.

Cheers,

Brad