Bait & Tackle

Fiberglass Repair

Long Bay Pointe

Marina 

Rudee Head Boats

Sign in to follow this  
OUTKAST

boatu.s. vs. seatow

What's your thoughts on this "boatu.s. vs. Seatow"? It seems to me that both are pretty equal. But I know there is a lot of ya'll that have way more experience on this.

I can't say anything about SeaTow but I've had a BoatUS membership and needed them for a trailer problem and a tow back to port. BoatUS is top notch all the way.

I added towing insurace to my full coverage boat insurance policy. I have a $2000 limit, no deductable. It only added about $30 a year to the policy.

Timebandit, I think it depends on where you boat. If you end up needing a very long tow, add'l for nights weekends, holidays... 2K may not cut it. If you stay near shore and not so far from where the tow company is located, you should be OK. The tow companies also offer services such as jumpstarting, oil/fuel delivery and emeergency pumps. Hopefully you will never need any of it- I never have on my boat but have been on others where I was grateful they had Towboat US. When considering time of tow you have to factor in the fact that they charge from there slip to you, where you have to go and back to their home port. Tow boats can also be notoriously slow. In my book, my $130 or so unlimited towing with TBUS is gladly spent. Though I don't normally run too far, I occasionally venture 50 miles or better as when we had to head south this past winter for rockfishing. my thoughts are better safe than sorry. I hope your tow policy is all you believe it to be as when you really need it, its too late to change your mind.

As far as Towboat vs. Seatow, talk to the reps and ask what the differences are between the two and ask them BOTH! Price is very close but there are subtle differences that make help you make your choice.

Thanks. Yeah I went with Boatus, my father in-law has been with them for many years..

Both Seatow and BoatUS are excellent services, but may have restrictions. You might not have any problems here, but if you trailer down to Oregon Inlet, Hatteras or points south, check your coverage for those areas. You REALLY don't want to get caught without one or the other. 1,000 to 2,000 is a real common tow bill for nearshore waters. Don't even think about odffshore. And remember, the Coast Guard will save your life, but they will not save your boat. I recommend BoatUS because they maintain a tow boat at Fisherman's Wharf Marina, who also hosts the annual Virginia Beach Bluewater Classic. Paula has been great to us for years. And I likes to dance with who brung me. Good luck and be safe!

I think boatus has a boat in Hatteras or it might be in Pirate's Cove, can't remember. But I do go out of Hatteras sometimes.

SeaTow.

I have been a member for a number of years. Since Cpt. Ed Schrader took over the service has been great. Have had the unfortunate need to use their services on (3) occasion, all of which I had my wife and kids on board (go figure). Excellent, prompt service each time and Ed is first class.

Tom

Seatow....if you are stuck somewhere where they are not and you call them first, your still covered.

oh wait, i dont own a boat. :laughing-smiley-002: