SPONSORS

Long Bay Pointe

Bait & Tackle

Fiberglass Repair

Long Bay Pointe

Marina 

Rudee Head Boats

altizerbd

Would you take a bass boat to the bridge tunnels??

Hey guys,

I think the title says it all... What do you think about taking a bass boat out to the tunnels. I have an 87 model Challenger with a 120 on it. It is a 17.5' boat and sits pretty low in the water.. I have had it in nasty 2 foot chop on Smith Mountain striper fishin' and too say the least it was sketchy... never did water come in or anyhting but it was tough to even sit an run the trolling motor haha... let alone walk around or stand and fish.

I saw some dudes out there in a 12-14' jon boat last time.... crazy cats

Hey guys,

I think the title says it all... What do you think about taking a bass boat out to the tunnels. I have an 87 model Challenger with a 120 on it. It is a 17.5' boat and sits pretty low in the water.. I have had it in nasty 2 foot chop on Smith Mountain striper fishin' and too say the least it was sketchy... never did water come in or anyhting but it was tough to even sit an run the trolling motor haha... let alone walk around or stand and fish.

I saw some dudes out there in a 12-14' jon boat last time.... crazy cats

I have seen some folks out there in jon boats and bass boats too. Some foolish folks who were lucky to make it back. Very bad choice.

How far are the tunnels from the nearest ramp... everytime I have drove by it doesnt look too terrible.. flat to 1 ft chop.. but I am sure it can get nasty in a hurry... I am just trying to weigh my options. Would you try it if the weather looked pristine?

Weather in our bay is very unpredictable...If the marine report says 2-3 feet at the mouth, add them together and get a total of a 5 foot swell, thats what ive seen through the years. You know that a wind, current, weather or tide change can also pick it up as well. Being that you normally average 7 miles from any boat ramp on the cbbt i wouldnt even consider a bass or john boat out there in the best of conditions. Still some do and tragedy has come from these decisions, I'd say go catfishing and beat the 143 world record caught in Buggs island last week, we neeed to bring it back to the James, shes there waiting!

yeah i guess its better safe then sorry and boatless... and you are def correct.. they are some big mommas of the james..i guess ill be down at Deep Bottom haha

Waves are only part of it- there are unusual things that happen in that area. If you have ever seen a nuke sub pass between the 1st and 2nd you know that they push about an 8' wake as they cannot make it through submerged. I have seen many a bigger boat scrambling to get out of the way or back in the shelter of the islands. About 10 years ago my wifes family was out on one of the Dolphin Watch evening cruises when a sub surfaced right next to them and almost capsized the boat according to their accounts. If true, someone on the sub made a mistake that came close to being a career ender. My other thought is the water is almost always rougher than it looks from the bridge! And FYI, the closest launch would be from Lynhaven Inlet, either Crab Creek or Bubba's. Be safe wherever you go!

Not a good idea! When I had my 17' Tracker Pro Team w/60hp Merc, I did take it to the HRBT, but never to the Bay bridge. As others have said it can get really bad quick! After two trips to the HRBT the wife said we need a bigger boat. :smilie_daumenpos: And this lead me to what I have now. Good Luck.

thanks guys.. i prob wont even try it, it would be rough on the old girl even putting her in the salt. Thanks for the heads up though. I would of never thought of a sub haha!!!

Now your talking altizer, Deep Bottom is where I launch when i go catting. There always seem to be bait somewhere in those bends and its not too far from my favorite spots. You fish there much? We should link up sometime and share some knowledge. Are you related to erin altizer from williamsburg?

Not that I know of, but that being said there are very few Altizers so its possible. I have fished DB once and didnt do well, I fished from my kayak though and just got waked to death. I usually fish Anncarrows in the spring and do really well kayak or boat.

I actually decided against bringing the bassboat out here, its back in southwest VA. I am kind of mad that I have to take all that licensure/safety crap to be able to be an operator and I had a slight trailor issue.

But yeah man, I am always down to snag some kitties.

How often do you fish outta deep bottom? I couldnt catch any bait but I was lucky enough to be given some. Seems like everyone I talked to uses gill nets. Throwing a cast net from the shore/bank without any electronics was very unsuccesful.