Virginia Beach Fishing

You can support VBSF.net by becoming a GOLD SUPPORTER Today!

Sign in to follow this  
Vafirechaser76

How in the heck can you cast that?

Ok I may get laughed at here, but I need to be enlightened! :lightbulb-idea:

Last year I bought a reel. Some people call them conventional reels and I have also heard trolling reel. Whichever I bought one and I have mainly used it on piers and did a straight drop near pillings.

HOWEVER, lately I have seen people cast these things like they would a regular reel and it blows my mind. I was dumb enough to try it and have had to unknot things a few more times then I care to admit. :) Anyway I want to know how to do it. Is there a secret or a video? I know it's funny and I am sure there were many laughs from those around me on the few times that I have tried. I can't learn unless I try and I am one very stubborn polish woman who will continue to try. ;)

So any tips or secrets that anyone would like to share would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks so much!!

~Sarah~

VBSF.net | Fishing Reports From Virginia Beach VA To Hatteras NC 

this is how:

:laughing-smiley-002:

Which reel do you have? The reason I am asking is some conventional reels have

internal brakes that you can turn off or on. Turning these brakes on will definitely

not allow you to cast as far, but will also control the backlash alot. I bought a Shimano

Calcutta 700s years ago to use on a 12' heaver. It has 6 internal brakes. I turned on 3 brakes in the beginning

to get used to casting. Then, after a few trips, I turned off all the brakes. Not sure if your reel has them, but it might be worth looking into. I know Ambassadeurs have them as well. Hope this helps.

mine has brakes, well the small ones, all the reels i have are the daiwa SL30SH series (and one SL20SH). i took the brakes out in the beginning but didnt like it. ive got mine greased up real good that i can control what i need with the tensioner knob (or whatever its called). everybody has there own thing, i got a buddy that has a magged reel that is set up for him, i tried to throw it and didnt' work so well.....lol.

vafirechaser - is that what your reel looks like?

Yeah the type of reel you have is the key to throwing a 6 o. sized reel. I have 6 of them and only 2 are castable from the surf. If the reel has a TRUE freespool, she will fly off the beach, but you should be very familiar with smaller casting reels first, cause you have to be good with your thumb. My advice is to sell it if your not using it much and go pick up an Avet. You can do everything with this reel, she'll out cast any reel on beach, you can drop by the piles, sight and lure cast, troll, even flounder fish. Very capable, well rounded set up.

I've seen people casting almost anything up to a 6/0 senator. The trick in my opinion is to load the rod smooth without a jerking motion. Practice is the only way to learn. I have an open field at the front of my subdivision, and I practice casting a baseball.

Thanks guys for all your help. I know this will get laughs, but my reel is a Southbend Black Beauty 2 Sz 55 Spin Reel. I found it at Dicks a couple of years ago. I had always wanted to try that type of reel but didnt want to spend the big bucks if I didnt know what I was doing. This reel came with a nice rod and was on clearance. So after my coupons I had I spend a whopping $7! ;) I'm not sure whether it has brakes on it or not. Im sure being such a cheap reel it more than likely doesn't.

It looks like I will have to keep practicing. We have a pretty big backyeard so maybe I will use that idea and practice there or at the school up the road. However since it is such a cheap reel do you think it would even cast well or should I not even try?

Thanks again for all the tips! Andrew I would be pee my pants happy if I could even remotely cast as smooth as what you did in that video!! LOL

Here is a link to what it looks like.

http://www.amazon.com/South-Bend-Black-Beauty-Spinning/dp/B001RUCFIW

~Sarah~

Hey shocker how far did you see someone cast that senator? I still own one myself and have never considered taking her to the beach. However, my Daiwas, LD30T and SLD30, can put a big bait out there about 60-70 yards. Still a far cry from my Avets and Saltists, but they do offer alot my line. I used them some back in the day, just felt like i was bringing a canon to a knife fight. And since I have only had my Avet spooled once, I usually keep the big reels on the boat. But Im sure when i finally hook the fish of a lifetime from the beach I will wish she was on the other end of such a reel.

Hey shocker how far did you see someone cast that senator? I still own one myself and have never considered taking her to the beach. However, my Daiwas, LD30T and SLD30, can put a big bait out there about 60-70 yards. Still a far cry from my Avets and Saltists, but they do offer alot my line. I used them some back in the day, just felt like i was bringing a canon to a knife fight. And since I have only had my Avet spooled once, I usually keep the big reels on the boat. But Im sure when i finally hook the fish of a lifetime from the beach I will wish she was on the other end of such a reel.

I'd say it was at least 60 yards out from the pier with 8oz and about a 1 pound bluefish.

I used to see some of the old guys back in the seventies that would fish 6/0s when the tarpon would roll by at Frisco Pier.Chester P. was the best I have seen with a 4/0 or 6/0. We used to cast 30 Internationals or 6/0s or Shimano Beastmaster 30's on the old "Therapy", but the secret is to screw down the reel spool tension, keep a thumb ready for instant use, use shortest leader you can get away with, and be loaded with adrenilin with Dr.Wright standing behind you yelling "Get him,Chip!" in a LOUD voice. Amazing what you can do! As usual, the star wheel drag reels are the easiest, but lever drags can do it ,too.