Virginia Beach Fishing

You can support VBSF.net by becoming a GOLD SUPPORTER Today!

Sign in to follow this  
Vafirechaser76

How in the heck can you cast that?

I bought the same Black Beauty Rod/Reel from Dick's about two years ago. I recently took the reel off of the 6' trolling rod and put it onto an 8' Silstar rod I bought off craigslist. Now I can cast it about 60 yards with a 3oz sinker and it truly being my first conventional reel. I'm hoping to step up to an Avet reel next season but for now it'll do. I have 20lb mono on it now but think I might go a little lighter.

VBSF.net | Fishing Reports From Virginia Beach VA To Hatteras NC 

the biggest thing is to practice, start off light and short and go bigger. you dont need to cast a mile the first time around. google surf casting on the internet and see how many different styles there is for casting. if i get a good connection here maybe ill post a video of me casting....

Thanks again for everyone's ideas. I have been practicing. Good thing my neighbors know me or they might think I'm crazy casting in the yard. ;) Andrew I have googled surf casting and it has helped to see the different ways. Even though its a cheap reel it's nice to me and I know there is so much more I can do with it to see its full potential. I'm heading to the oceanfront tonight to do some night fishing if the rain holds off. Hopefully I can take it and see what happens. Thanks again guys!

~Sarah~

You guys should have told me the rod makes a WORLD of difference! ;) THe rod I was using was a 6ft rod and had virtually no flex to it. I found a nice 13 ft at Dicks and put the reel on that and took her out for a spin last night and it sailed! I think I finally love this reel now! ;)

~Sarah~