Virginia Beach Fishing

SPONSORS

Long Bay Pointe

Bait & Tackle

Fiberglass Repair

Long Bay Pointe

Marina 

Rudee Head Boats

The crew went out this morning hunting the ever elusive wahoo. I opted to make money today. Good luck to my crew! Bring that wahoo bounty and we shall celebrate with pints o' grog abouts Ye bargola! Arrrrrr.

Otter, you let Bob take Still Think'n out unsupervised? I don't know about that. He's lible to head for the North Drop - off the Virgin Islands.

It's OK George I was there to supervise. Another fun day was had by all and the hand lining of Mahi was even better. But that's for the Captain to tell that story.

VooDoo

well we made it back safely unsupervised...lol...we had a pretty slow day for us....I have many excuses but will opt to leave them out...let's just say we didn't get a sniff all day....we pulled lines around 230PM for the run in...on the way in we ran past the triple buoys, some call them the Navy Buoys, some call them the 3 Nuns, I called them Mahi heaven....

I puled back the throttles to give them a shot..my hopes were not high as the water was green and I had no instrument which could read water temps..

I had Cirwin, Voodoo and Butch from butch's bait and tackle onboard..I had them put out two sea witches to make s couple of passes...sure enough go past the first buoy and fish on, small bailer Mahi....go past the 2nd buoy and fish on another bailer.....now this is where the story gets interesting...

go past buoy "C" again and get a nice Mahi on...but the fish wraps us up around the buoy but doens't break off....the line is wrapped but the fish is still going crazy.....now the normal person would probably have broken off but my crew today was hungry for meat, any kind of meat so with the wind blowing about 15 out of the SW and the current running a good 5 knots south to north they decide they want me to maneuver into this buoy so they can try and get a gaff on the line and try and unwrap this fish, who is still jumping all around the buoy at this time....we zig and zag and get right up close and personal with this yellow buoy and Mark is unable to unwrap the line....we decide to go for the gaff the part of the line with the fish on it and handline this 20 Pound pissed off green death to the boat...all of this is taking place from the bow of my boat, laying on the gunnel...

Mark is able to get his hands on the line and proceeds to handline this fish up next to the boat....Bruce take about 5 swipes at the pissed off fish but keeps missing, for some reason this fish was not holding still for us to gaff, why I don't know...but Mark grabs the gaff from Bruce, has the handline in one hand and makes a one handed stab at hoists this fish into the boat...we decide we're not going to release this fish..lol....so we put this 22 pound Mahi in the box.....we pulled lines and headed home at this point as it was getting later and we were worried about that wicked cold front moving through....

so it was an interesting day to say the least, socked in with fog out on the 100fathom line, no fish finder, no temp guage, but we returned with some fish dammit !....Bob

AND A GOOD TIME WAS HAD BY ALL!!!!!!!!!....way to go Bob!!!!!

VooDoo

What no gaff and release? I had a similar experiance yesterday, but with a .1# Blue gill, rounded wards corner on I64 when the bottom broke out of the sky. Thinking about trying for Rockfish in the am.

What?? You had to gaff a 1# bluegill by yourself????? How DID you manage it Eric?? :laughing-smiley-002:

No gaff, all were released unharmed