Virginia Beach Fishing

You can support VBSF.net by becoming a GOLD SUPPORTER Today!

Sign in to follow this  
LASwampRat

Electronic Repair

The sonar on my Garmin GPS is not working. Pretty sure it is the Garmin itself and not the transducer. Garmin provided ZERO help in identifing a place where we could have the damn thing fixed...Google did no better...and you get the picture!

Anyone know where i can take a garmin in to be fixed. We are thinking it is a board or something like that...

Thanks

Wendy

VBSF.net | Fishing Reports From Virginia Beach VA To Hatteras NC 

Wendy= the only luck I had on mine was to send it in to Garmin but their turnaround wasn't too bad! Good luck!

I had some bad luck with my Garmin, opted for the refurbished replacement at a small cost {120 bucks} and it took like a week and a half to recieve it. 6 months later, same problem, the internal antennas on these units are garbage in my book. Ive even put an external antenna on it and I still will lose satellite connection. All wiring has been replaced, I dont get it, but I know I wont spend any more money on this name brand. Anyways, I got off subject there, but I believe KD is right, send it in.

Zambezi- I'm on my second unit with GPS from Garmin and never had antenna issues. Worse for me on these and previous units is the pins for the plug in back of the unit. Since I frequently take the unit on and off the boat the pins wear, bend and it seems like the power pin is always the one to break. For that I just go to a local CB shop where the guy makes me another pin and solders it in for 10 bucks and better than new.

Wendy, if the unit goes in and they recomend swapping it out for a rebuilt unit (they did this once out of 2 trips back to the factory) they will transfer all your data such as waypoints and fishing areas so you don't lose any of your hot spots!

Todd Ayers of Ayers marine Electronics will hook you up. He's a great guy and it's a great company....Bob

Ayers Marine Electronics 638 Prosperity Way Chesapeake, VA 23320. CONTACT: Todd Ayers PH: 757-549-7477. FAX: 757-549-2627

I agree with Bob.....Todd Ayers is the man he installed my equipment on my Southport and stands by his work. Good Luck.

Thanks everyone...Ken found a spot (after much looking). The name of the place is: Sea Port Electronics. Turns out a card in the GPS is bad. Gonna cost $450 to replace. Think we are just going to get a new GPS/Sounder...cheaper. Garmin would not work on out GPS bc it is 6 years old and out of warranty.

That typed, I put Todd's number into my contacts...next time...