Bait & Tackle

Fiberglass Repair

Long Bay Pointe

Marina 

Rudee Head Boats

Sign in to follow this  
Tnelson82

New Rod/Reel.

Picked up a 12 Tica and a SL20SH. Can't wait to use it. I see some of you guys talk about shock leaders. What is that and do I need one? Any other things I "need" to grab before I go out? Thanks.

I am heading down to Buxton with some friends this weekend if anyone else is heading out that way let me know. I'd love to trade a Bud light for fishing tips.

The necessity of a shock leader depends upon what lb test your running line is as well as how much weight you plan to throw. For example most guys on a "heaver" set up will typically use 15 to 20# mono as running line while throwing 6 to 10oz sinker (depending upon strength of current) plus bait. The combination of that payload as well as the force generated with the act of casting will put a lot of stress on that 15 to 20# mono. It will likely cause you to snap your line while casting and donate your hook and sinker to the great blue sea.

This is where the shock leader comes in! Basically you attach a section of heavier lb test line from your running line (50# test is typically used for that weight range) to your terminal tackle. After attaching the shock leader to your running line, reel in the shock leader so that you have about 5 wraps of leader around the spool of your reel. Doing this will ensure that the force of the cast will be placed on the stronger shock leader instead of your weaker running line.

You typically want enough shock leader to run from the reel up through all the guides and then approximately halfway down the rod which will then be attached to your hook and sinker.

The length of leader from the rod tip down to your rig (hook and sinker) is called the "drop." Play around with the amount of drop that works best with your casting style.

I'm sure that anyone will agree that when you start casting conventionals, you will blow up quite often. Don't get too frustrated and keep at it. Also try to keep your cast nice and smooth (start slow), don't try to jerk your cast out there or else you will blow up!

I would also suggest trying to practice your casting a bit before you head down on your fishing trip. If you can get someone to come out and help you, it will really make your trip a bit more enjoyable!

Anyhow, good luck with everything and let us know how you do down there.

So, what knot are you using on the shock line?

Depending on circumstances, I like a :

1)Uni-uni connection

2)Nail knot, IF tied in my shop, never on a boat/beach/pier.

3)Surgeon's Knot is a little tricky

4)If going for double line, I ALWAYS use the Spider Hitch, rather than a Australian Braid Knot or Bimini Twist. If big game trolling, I will go with the Twist, but still have great faith in a properly tied Spider Hitch.

5)The first knot I learned for shock line as a mere infant was the "shock knot", which some of our learned brethren may remember the official name but ,alas, old age has removed it from my mind

6)Once you tie the uni-uni, you MAY want to do a knot I call a "Triple Uni". You spider hitch a loop of 18 inches in the lighter line...then tie a uni-uni with the doubled line and the heavier single line. You get two small knots,yes, but she sho' is strong! This is especially good for braid/mono connections.

And, go to the beach RIGHT NOW and start practicing! If no beach available, go to Mount Trashmore Lake or some such and PRACTICE! A newbie with a heaver in a big fish /crunch time situation is a bother, a danger for others, and will be frustrating for you.

BA

The first shock knot I learned was the uni to uni and as far as I can remember, I can't recall cracking off any casts at the shock knot. I didn't really like how big the knot was though and it seemed like it was rough on my guides as it went through them. A friend then taught me how to tie the bimini to no-name which is what I am currently using and have had no issues with whatsoever (other than when I was using chartreuse sufix tri... damn knots seemed to slip often).

Tnelson, all the knots that BA mentioned, you can find instructional videos on how to tie on youtube. Use whatever knots that you have the most confidence in tying. Practice those knots as you watch TV. GL!

the knot i use is the albright, simple and effective and i have confidence in it.

this is a good site, but there are plenty on the internet:

http://www.animatedknots.com/albright/index.php?Categ=fishing&LogoImage=LogoGrog.jpg&Website=www.animatedknots.com

like others have said you NEED to practice before going down to buxton, especially if you plan on fishing on or near the point. i practiced in a pond for two months before i took too the beach.

what area do you live in?

what area do you live in?

Greenbrier.

I'll try to get some practice in tomorrow morning, not sure I can squeeze it in though. I always have my spinning rod and reel if it is really crowded and is not safe for me to play with my heaver.

Thanks

Greenbrier.

check your board messages.

Wind is going to be tough, 25-40 on Saturday. Sunday should be better.

Wind is going to be tough, 25-40 on Saturday. Sunday should be better.

Friday and Saturday seem pretty brutal, good luck out there.

TNelson got some pointers before he went down :costumed-smiley-089: