Bait & Tackle

Fiberglass Repair

Long Bay Pointe

Marina 

Rudee Head Boats

Sign in to follow this  
Bobby S

Need some info on Yamaha LCD gauges

I have Yamaha tach and speedo LCD gauges. Both have a very scratched up lens on them, but also have a very dim readout. I am going to try polishing compound for the scratches. Are these gauges repairable or is buying new the only way to go? I hate to drop $700 for 2 gauges on a 1995 model boat. I would think that some of you would have had the same experience given the amount of Yamahas in VB.

VBSF.net | Fishing Reports From Virginia Beach VA To Hatteras NC 

I've had the same problem, maybe worse with Merc guages. While I was laid up, I took a couple fishing with the understanding they would do the scut work I couldn't do and I would supply and run the boat. At cleanup, he hit the guages with the pressure washer and spider cracks is now almost all you can see. Mercs version are in excess of 800 for the pair. I have seen them online for as little as 275 each. My thought was (and I still think it would work) to take a dremel with a narrow cutting bit and cut around the outside perimeter of the guage, clean up the edge, apply urethane sealant an place a circle of glass or plexi over the whole thing. I never found a shop willing to try it although I absolved them of any responsibility. I am still looking through the cracks.....

I didn't realize that the Merc gauges were that high. I may try the pressure washer, along with some compound. I have nothing to lose at this point, because I can't read them at all. Something else that I have thought of is some of these car detailing places. They can work miracles on headlight restoration, maybe they could do it on the gauges also. I am going to try a few things before I give up.

I believe the pressure washer caused my damage, and that the cracks are too deep to polish out. I still think that a decent glass repairman could cut out the face and glue a new flat surface on the old rounded one. I DON'T recomend the pressure washing! The plastic is brittle after years in the sun. If you can't find a cheap try solution, I would just hit the net and try to find one there.

Let me know what happens because I am still on the fence with my merc guages!

Ok, gotcha. By being a parts manager at a Jeep dealer, I have some glass contacts. I will talk to them and I will let you know what they say.