Virginia Beach Fishing

You can support VBSF.net by becoming a GOLD SUPPORTER Today!

Sign in to follow this  
Getting Lucky

yamaha wont turn off

So I pull to the dock at ruder, put boat on trailer, turn the key and then put the motor up only to hear its still running. So I put it back down, pulled the deadpan turned it off and on but no luck. So now I am blocking the ramp and clueless. After 4 minutes or so it just turned off. Any body have a clue what to do about this.

VBSF.net | Fishing Reports From Virginia Beach VA To Hatteras NC 

So I pull to the dock at ruder, put boat on trailer, turn the key and then put the motor up only to hear its still running. So I put it back down, pulled the deadpan turned it off and on but no luck. So now I am blocking the ramp and clueless. After 4 minutes or so it just turned off. Any body have a clue what to do about this.

Yes, I have had that happen to Dr. Wright's Honda engines in the past. Likliest answer is corrosion. My rule in boating is to start with easiest /cheapest stuff first, then go till it works.

1)If your engine key is accessible, take a clean toothbrush and brush it. Use a good corrosion fighting spray. Work it ,then try turning on/off a couple times.

2)Pull the motor cover and look at switches and terminals , doing the same brush up and spray.

3) Once you have completed all that, reassemble and see what ya got. I feel pretty confident that will fix you up.

BA

• Like 1

Did you try and wiggle/rotate the ignition switch? Does the switch not rotate normally, meaning did you rotate the switch itself instead of the internal switch like normal.

Liek adder said, internal corrosion to the switch could have it fouled up or broken and it is applying constant 12V to the ignition. Or you could have wires touching at the rear of the switch applying a constant 12V to the ignition.

Can you remove the switch? If the switch does not have normal "feel" when turning, just replace it.