SPONSORS

Long Bay Pointe

Bait & Tackle

Fiberglass Repair

Long Bay Pointe

Marina 

Rudee Head Boats

Captain Crispy

Any interest in Va Beach Shark Tournament ?

I have been thinking of starting a shark fishing tournament in Va Beach for years, but things always seemed to pop up to stop me. This year I want to give it a shot. First, I would like to gauge the interest in it before I start spending money. I figure that if I am lucky, maybe half of the folks who say they will do it will actually do it. Here is what I envision:

Catch and release only, which means there will be an honor system; however as my favorite President used to say, "Trust, but verify." Disposable digital cameras will be issued to participants, and they will have to submit photos for verification of species and fork length.

Judging station at Rudee and Lynnhaven. I keep my Bertram at Marina Shores, so since I likely will not be able to fish the tournament [some might think it unfair if a judge is also a participant;go figure], the Lynnhaven judging station may be at the transom of my boat.

Open to surf, boat, kayak, pier, jetski, and hang glider fisherman. If you hook it, land it, photo it, and release it, it is eligible.

Participants must be covered by a valid Virginia saltwater fishing license, plus HMS license.

Haven't decided on the cost yet; wouldn't charge Jet Ski Brian the same amount as a boat full of guys. May have 3 separate divisions, if there is enoughh interest. 1 for kayak/jetski angler; one for pier/surf anglers; and 1 for boat anglers. I expect that he entry fee would be at least $50 per person and $100 per boat at minimum. Calcuttas aren't even on my radar yet. Would like some comment on the entry fee, but keep in mind that the fee will pay for cost in creating/administering the tournament, such as a disposable digital camera for each boat or individual participant, insurance, compliance with any state/federal licensing/registration requirements. Whatever is left goes to prizes...

A fishing tournament without prizes is like a bar without beer...just a bunch of smelly guys telling lies. Obviously, the entry fees will have to cover the costs of the tournament before prizes can be issued, and I do not know what the costs will be yet. HOWEVER, I am going to step out on a limb and guarantee minimum prize money even if I have to use my own money- 1st gets $300; 2nd gets $200; and 3d gets $100. Invite your friends and neighbors, because i don't want to use my own money when I can use yours.

Date and time- should be somewhere from mid-July to late August. I know there are a couple other big tournaments then for tuna, billfish, and of course, the Bluewater Classic, but July-August is prime time for sharks. I am thinking issuing cameras on Friday at 1600 [4 PM] and ending the tournament at 1200 on Sunday. Winners and prizes at 1300 Sunday.

Sponsors- none, but I am open to suggestions.

So, who wants to do it, what suggestions do you have ??

VBST2012@yahoo.com

I have been thinking of starting a shark fishing tournament in Va Beach for years, but things always seemed to pop up to stop me. This year I want to give it a shot. First, I would like to gauge the interest in it before I start spending money. I figure that if I am lucky, maybe half of the folks who say they will do it will actually do it. Here is what I envision:

Catch and release only, which means there will be an honor system; however as my favorite President used to say, "Trust, but verify." Disposable digital cameras will be issued to participants, and they will have to submit photos for verification of species and fork length.

Judging station at Rudee and Lynnhaven. I keep my Bertram at Marina Shores, so since I likely will not be able to fish the tournament [some might think it unfair if a judge is also a participant;go figure], the Lynnhaven judging station may be at the transom of my boat.

Open to surf, boat, kayak, pier, jetski, and hang glider fisherman. If you hook it, land it, photo it, and release it, it is eligible.

Participants must be covered by a valid Virginia saltwater fishing license, plus HMS license.

Haven't decided on the cost yet; wouldn't charge Jet Ski Brian the same amount as a boat full of guys. May have 3 separate divisions, if there is enoughh interest. 1 for kayak/jetski angler; one for pier/surf anglers; and 1 for boat anglers. I expect that he entry fee would be at least $50 per person and $100 per boat at minimum. Calcuttas aren't even on my radar yet. Would like some comment on the entry fee, but keep in mind that the fee will pay for cost in creating/administering the tournament, such as a disposable digital camera for each boat or individual participant, insurance, compliance with any state/federal licensing/registration requirements. Whatever is left goes to prizes...

A fishing tournament without prizes is like a bar without beer...just a bunch of smelly guys telling lies. Obviously, the entry fees will have to cover the costs of the tournament before prizes can be issued, and I do not know what the costs will be yet. HOWEVER, I am going to step out on a limb and guarantee minimum prize money even if I have to use my own money- 1st gets $300; 2nd gets $200; and 3d gets $100. Invite your friends and neighbors, because i don't want to use my own money when I can use yours.

Date and time- should be somewhere from mid-July to late August. I know there are a couple other big tournaments then for tuna, billfish, and of course, the Bluewater Classic, but July-August is prime time for sharks. I am thinking issuing cameras on Friday at 1600 [4 PM] and ending the tournament at 1200 on Sunday. Winners and prizes at 1300 Sunday.

Sponsors- none, but I am open to suggestions.

So, who wants to do it, what suggestions do you have ??

VBST2012@yahoo.com

Sounds awesome, I would for sure be there. August was the best last year, we caught probably close to 200 from the boat/surf that month. i know several people who would also be interested so if this comes to be, let me know.

Great I'm in!!! But will the city allow it?

Sounds good to me. Put me down for 2 from the piers/surf.

Great I'm in!!! But will the city allow it?

Don't think the City of Virginia Beach has much to say about it, as long as no one violates their ordinance:

Sec. 6-31. Shark fishing prohibited.

(a) No person shall:

(1) Place in the marginal adjacent ocean or bay within five hundred (500) yards of the mean low water line any chum, blood or free floating bait for the purpose of attracting sharks, or

(2) Fish for sharks within the city limits and the marginal adjacent waters within five hundred (500) yards of the mean low water line.

These prohibitions shall include fishing or chumming from any beach, structure, jetty or boat, utilizing tackle, bait or chum intended for or commonly used to catch or attract sharks.

(B) Any person who shall violate any provision of this section shall be guilty of a Class 3 misdemeanor.

(Ord. No. 1720, 7-13-87; Ord. No. 1745, 10-26-87; Ord. No. 2729, 11-26-02)

No shark fishing from the Lynnhaven, Va Beach, and Little Island piers, or from the beaches within city limits.

I just sold my boat, but im already looking for the upgrade... but yeah i would be interested.