Long Bay Pointe

Bait & Tackle

Fiberglass Repair

Long Bay Pointe

Marina 

Rudee Head Boats

zambezi

Best under 32 foot hull ever built?

Just doing a little research on my next boat, options are endless in the boating world nowadays. So, I know there are some very knowledgable mariners on this site and was curious as to what they may deem the best under 32 foot hull ever built? Would love to hear some opinions.

How much you wanna spend? I would love a yellowfin, sea vee, regulator or invincible but they are really expensive. I settled on a used 06 29' Hydra-Sport with all the fixings and very happy with it. Good heavy sea boat for the canyons and can still fish inshore easily. It probably doesn't ride as well as the top tier boats and go 65 mph but the money I saved I can put towards gas. Bob's Southport is a sweet ride!

If money is no concern, Dont think about it, just go buy the SeeVee 390 with IPS.

If on a budget, you can pick up albemarle's fairly cheap, most come with spare parts!

There are quite a few exceptional hulls in that size range, but one stands head and shoulders above the rest in my book. It has a razor sharp entry, a Carolina flare second to none, 24 degrees of deadrise at the stern, a broken shearline and a tumblehome that curves like a young woman's hips. It's sharp, it's sexy and if I could afford one, I'd marry it. It's a Buddy Davis 28 and it's a work of art IMHO.

post-63-0-81987400-1331076320_thumb.jpg

Unfortunately money is of concern. But I tell you what that Buddy Davis is one beautiful boat. I also will have to look into the Southport that Bob was talking about. Im looking to spend under 30,000 for sure, 20,000 would be more manageable. So that puts alot of options out the window, but many still available. I need a hull that can run offshore a couple times a year, fish the bay regularly, and go catfishing when shes blowing a gale. With this in mind, I would like to be able to get in some heat, whether that be curtains or a cuddy of some sort. And to top things off, I need a tower with dual controls, so I would stop running over those cobias in the summer! Tough decision here, so knowing me I wont buy a boat for another year, lol. Thanks for the input.

Given those conditions, I think Eric's suggestion is worth a second look. That 24 Albemarle is a very good hull that will take you offshore and handles a head sea as well as anything in that size range. There's a ton of them out there and parts are readily available. There is a small boat manufacturer not far from Wilmington that really caught my eye. Onslow Bay Boatworks makes a fine 27' center console that resembles the Southport. Might be worth a look. good luck in your search!

If you are looking for a non-trailer boat: 28 Carolina Classic; 29 or 32 Blackfin; 29 Phoenix; 31 Bertram; and any Ocean Master under 32'.

If you are looking for a trailer boat: Albemarle 24, 26, or 27; CC 25; SeaVee, Regulator, Contender, etc etc etc. If you want to take it offshore and still trailer it, check out a few cats.

All depends on the coin and how many you want to drop.

In the cuddy area

In your range I would suggest the 26 albemarle. Alot more room than a 24, stand up head and no motor box. go with the 8.1, or make sure its not the original 7.4 with the water ingestion issues. You can find the 24's now for around 10K with fresh power plants if you want to save money for grad school.

also in your range, alot of GW's out there if wanting OB, I like the 25 sailfish myself.

Thanks alot guys, my search shall continue!