Virginia Beach Fishing

You can support VBSF.net by becoming a GOLD SUPPORTER Today!

Sign in to follow this  
novafisherman703

I thought this was odd...

Every Bass I've caught at Lake Pleasure House has had orange eyes. I've almost always took a second look but after catching one today, I figured I'd ask about it. Is there anything special about these orange eyed bass?

VBSF.net | Fishing Reports From Virginia Beach VA To Hatteras NC 

are you sure it was a largemouth? it could be a redeye aka rock bass or smallmouths have reddish orange eyes

are you sure it was a largemouth? it could be a redeye aka rock bass or smallmouths have reddish orange eyes

It looked like a Largemouth with orange eyes. I know it wasn't a smallmouth. It could be a red-eye or I read somewhere that spotted bass have orange eyes around spawning time. I'll try to catch one today and take a picture.

cool i really want to see it. where is lake pleasure house? over by bayside rec?

and what are you catching them on?

I caught a couple a more bass today. These two were very light colored LMB with normal eyes. It seems not all have the orange eyes. The first I caught on a crawdad colored rattle trap and the other on a chartreuse spinnerbait.

cool I really want to see what these eyes look like. and where is the spot youre fishing?

Pleasure House Lake is the pond you go over on Rt 13 just before you hit the toll gate on the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel. We used to call it Turtle Lake back in the day and it was a popular swimming hole in the 1980's when I lived in Chicks Beach. I don't think you can swim there anymore, seems I remember reading that it had been closed. I think at one time it was part of Lake Joyce or Lake Bradford but developers filled parts of it in. I could be wrong though, old people like me are known for poor memory.

haha thanks Marlin Maniac. Have you fished it before? is it totally freshwater? I've been to the rope swing at lake joyce before but never fished it or pleasure house lake. Is it totally freshwater? Thanks for the info

Fishnguard :lifeguard:

To my knowledge they are both totally fresh water. I've been swimming in Pleasure House Lake many times, but not in Lake Joyce. Never fished much in either of them. Didn't know there was a rope swing at Lake Joyce. There used to be a rope swing over on Lake Whitehurst, back near the railroad tracks off Diamond Springs Road. You had to climb up to a platform built between two pine trees then hope you missed the oak that held the rope when you swung out. Great bass fishing in that lake back then, and a pretty fair rope swing.