Virginia Beach Fishing

You can support VBSF.net by becoming a GOLD SUPPORTER Today!

Sign in to follow this  
novafisherman703

I thought this was odd...

Pleasure House Lake is the pond you go over on Rt 13 just before you hit the toll gate on the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel. We used to call it Turtle Lake back in the day and it was a popular swimming hole in the 1980's when I lived in Chicks Beach. I don't think you can swim there anymore, seems I remember reading that it had been closed. I think at one time it was part of Lake Joyce or Lake Bradford but developers filled parts of it in. I could be wrong though, old people like me are known for poor memory.

George, I am not sure about your memory but it can be said that you are 'known'!

What I always called redeye are more of a panfish not known for being really big but are excellent fighters on light tackle and even better in the pan. I can't remember catching them in a lake, usually it was in rocky rivers in fast water and we also called them rock bass. Any crawfish lure or swimmer/diver plug would be effective as would most live baits. I often caught them while wading for smallmouths in the rappahanock, rapidan, upper potomac and new rivers in particular.

http://bassfishing-gurus.com/rock-bass.php

That's a link in general about the redeye with a couple of decent pics- you can google more, I'm sure!

VBSF.net | Fishing Reports From Virginia Beach VA To Hatteras NC 

They were definitely not rock bass. Oh and I definitely would not swim there. I used to wade there but after yesterday, I will not again. I pulled out a turtle from the lake and it must have had over 100 leaches on it, tucked under the legs and tail. I pulled off 65-75 before giving up. It was nuts.

OUCH! Now that's a new development. I didn't think leeches were native to Virginia. Sounds like a potential invasive species.

George, we had leeches in the ponds and creeks back when I was a kid so ya can't say they're new to VA! Just lay out in the sun for a while and they will drop off- they don't leave scars like they can if you burn them off with cigs. But I don't like them either! And study your history- George Washington and other colonial virginians used them to 'bleed' sick people and remove the 'bad blood'. Leeches are considered to be one of the prime factors in the old George's death.

Ya learn something new every day. I've fished just about every pond and puddle on the southside, but no swimming. You know me Kevin, I've always been a beach bum. Other than the exceptions above, I've done all my swimming in the ocean. There things tend to nibble on you rather than suck your blood. As a matter of fact the only leech I've ever dealt with is the one I almost married....but that's a different story. Sorry NOVA, didn't mean to hijack your thread.

No not yet. I've been catching mostly crappie, which I think is normal since they are in pre-spawn right now. I'm catching them in ~2' of water. I wish I had taken a pic of the bass that sparked me to make this thread.

hey at least youre getting some action. I STILL havent caught a fish yet this spring..... :kicking-dirt:

I see i'm late to the thread but I found this forum while trying to find out what fish are in lake pleasure house. I've not fished it yet but based on how the fish was described I feel it could be Roanoke Bass you caught with the orange/red eyes. 

I'm gonna try to fish the lake soon and see what I find. If I catch any orange-eyed bass I will take pics.