Bait & Tackle

Fiberglass Repair

Long Bay Pointe

Marina 

Rudee Head Boats

Sign in to follow this  
latemp

do fish finders mean more caught fish?

right now i don't own a boat. i'm thining about getting a canoe or kayak eventually, but until then i'm just renting boats. i've never used a fish finder before, but i'm hoping to boost my luck with one. i've been looking into getting a portable one like the hummingbird fish buddy. anyone ever use one of these before? how do they compare to a regular fish finder? and can i expect to see better fishing with one?

latemp, yes they help a lot ...... a fish finder is a valuable tool. While an inexpensive one might not mark fish as well as you hope, it will help you find the right bottom or structure to fish over. I just picked up one for chasing striper's on Smith Mountain Lake. A Lowrance Elite-5 Fishfinder/GPS Chartplotter. Good luck .... tight lines!

Latemp:

I kayak fish and I have a Hummingbird 170. It is a lower end product, you can get one for about $100. There have been times that it cued me that there were fish under the yak and I caught some based on that knowledge. However, for the most part, I use it to identify depth and bottom structure. When I striper fish, I don't even bring it with me. So, for me it depends what species I am fishing for and how well I know the area. It is just another tool.

Not sure what you are aiming to do but I find a fish finder extremely useful, essential for saltwater fishing in some cases. In my opinion, it would be too clumsy for use in a canoe, but can be mounted and used in a kayak.

By the time you buy a canoe or kayak and install a fish finder, you might be able to find a used bass boat with a fishfinder already installed.

Eric

On fishfinders in general, the more you use one, the more it will help you. Flounder are my fish of choice and of course since they are often buried in the sand or silt, you pretty much can't see them. I can identify the type of bottom and locate holes, edges, depth, structure.... you get the idea. In the old days you had to either find your own spots, have someone share theirs or learn to read the water surface really well. FF simplify things a lot! You don't have to have one right away but it would be an early investment for me. If you want to justify buying a better model, remember you can move it from boat to boat as you move up and you will already be familiar with your unit. When I finally upgraded to a GPS unit with a color screen- well, I don't know if I have yet been able to read bait marks as well with the new unit after 5 years!

As for stripers, I use the hell out of mine, especially when chasing schoolies around the bridge tunnel structures- I know which ones are holding fish and can concentrate on finding out what will make them bite! I don't like to leave fish even if they aren't hitting what I'm throwing.

i would love to buy a bass boat. before i moved, i was planning on just buyin a nice jon boat and outffiting it. but unfourtunately, where i live now (nova) every square foot a space comes at a premium. with a kayak or a canoe i wouldnt have to pay for outdoor storage. really i want a kayak, but i'm leaning towards canoe because of my 2 yr old son. want to bring him and his mother along.

has anyone here ever attached their fish finder sensor to a trolling motor? i just bought one recently, and although i was originally planning on getting the portable fishin buddy, i'm also thinking about eventually buying a kayak. so if i did, i would want something i could rig up regularly.