Fiberglass Repair

Long Bay Pointe

Marina 

Rudee Head Boats

Sign in to follow this  
altizerbd

considering my options...

Okay...

So I have a 1987 challenger bassboat with a fresh rebuilt 115 on it. It runs great and fishes decent but with the hull it is limited. The floor inside the boat is rotted and weak in between the console and in several other places as well.. The trailer is A-ok as well as the trolling motor etc.

I guess ultimately I want a boat that is capable of fishing in a little bigger water, lower james, HRBT, etc. (its even been a little hairy on Smith Mountain in high wind come to think of it) My question is would it be a ton of work to swap that motor over to a different hull? Where could a man find a hull that might suit my needs? How well would that fresh water 80's model engine hold up in the salt?

Should I just do my best at repairing the hull and keep bassfishing or is there saltwater hope at a reasonable cost?

Thanks for any input.

Look up Budget boats on the web.. They got a bunch of older boats { walk arounds & center console} most have no motors. They also sell used motors too. Mark!!!

Give Craig at Coastal Fiberglass a call ..... he restores older boats, he just finished one for me. He might be able to do something with yours or he might know where a fixer up is. As for your motor, it depends on shaft length. Most bass boats I think use a 20'' shaft?? They usually come in 20'' or 25'' shafts.

COASTAL FIBERGLASS http://vbsf.net/abou...-vbsf-specials/

Shaft Length: How do I measure?

If mounting directly to a boat transom: Measure from the top of the transom down to the bottom of the hull or keel (lowest point). Measure the area of the transom directly where the engine will be mounted. See diagram below.

If using an auxiliary mounting bracket: With the bracket in the down position, measure from the top of the bracket's mounting surface down to the bottom of the hull or keel (lowest point where engine will be mounted). Tip: For most auxiliary applications, it is possible to use a longer shaft length than what is called for, provided there is sufficient clearance when the engine is in the up position. This can be especially useful in heavy seas.

If measuring an existing outboard: Measure from the inside top of mounting bracket down to anti-cavitation plate above propeller (this is the largest plate/fin directly above the propeller). See diagram below.

Shaft-Length-Diagram.gif

Height / Shaft Lenght

14"-17.25" ----15' (short)

7.25” – 19.5” ---- Varies by application

19.5” – 22.5” ----20” Shaft (Long)

22.5” – 27” ----25” Shaft (Extra-Long)