Bait & Tackle

Fiberglass Repair

Long Bay Pointe

Marina 

Rudee Head Boats

Sign in to follow this  
bobdu11

Still Think'n March Tuna Virginia Beach

Wow what a great day...great working with Wreckless Mocean, the only other boat out there yesterday for some EPIC fishing...it was straight national geographic out there, I only wish Don was with us to take video cause the action was too fast to get any video....here's teh story

We left Rudee around 0500 into a NE wind of about 10 - 15 knots, Waves were quartering so the ride wasn't too bad, little slow going until the sun came up and then I put the hammer down on the Yamaha's to get us out to the fishing grounds..

We landed on the 150 line in about 200 fathoms where the break went from 58 to 64 IMMEDIATELY and we put a spread out...we worked out to about 300 fathoms and had a double knock down...we're thinking maybe small blue fin but the one that came tight showed those beautiful Yellow colors I so love to see....First yellowFin in the boat, time fishing....20 minutes...

Made another circle and two more come down but dont' come tight...there were alot of juvenile YFT mixed in with the 30 pounders yesterday...

talked to Adam on Wrecklean Mocean who was about 5 miles south of us and they reported Tuna busting all over the place and they had 3 in the box already so we pulled lines and headed south about 5 miles to the 094 in about 300 fathoms...water temp 71, mixed blue pretty water....Tuna and birds popping up in schools all over the place...

we worked the schools which were a little bit skittish for the next couple of hours and put another 4 Tuna in the box lots of short strikes, pulled hooks, but steady action.....we see some huge explosions about a mile east of where we were fishing and worked out way out there....300 plus pound Tuna pounding the bait, which was small anchovies....but these huge Tuna's were coming completely out of the water, it was the craziest shit I've seen out there , just insane.....problem though...as we get close, the fish sound before the baits are in range....so what do we do....we improvise, adapt, overcome....

We sneak up on the fish from upwind...getting close enough to the busting schools and then cutting the engines and letting the wind push u s into the fish...this works well enough to rip a couple of jigs through the fish, which lands us one nice YFT, Adam's crew got a 110 pound Blue Fin with a popper...

we get back on the troll and box a few more YFT, last round of the day we've got 4 YFT tight and the Mako's show up in force, eating all our fish...well we get pissed off so we notice as Jim Bob is reeling in his Tuna head, this 100 pound Mako is following the head in, taking chunks out of the fish...so Jimmy K starts teasing the Mako into the boat, Otter loads up the flying Gaff, ties it off to a cleat and we wait and tease...the Mako finally makes a fatal mistake and Otter sticks him in the tail (Free swimmer), Jimmy K gets another Gaff in the tail and the fish is pretty docile at the side of the boat....Jim Bob gets a couple of rounds from his 40caliber hollow points in the sharks head and voila, 100 Pound Mako in the box....Who's the top of the food chain now Mr. Mako....

Crew was fantastic....Black Pearl (Jeff), Otter, JimBob, and Jimmy K was the crew...no whining even during the ride back in which sucked...great day out there....

The Yellowfin are here...March YellowFin out of Virginia Beach...it's gonna be a good year tater !.....bob

Mako_Group.JPG

YFT Group.JPG

Pretty work Bob! And that sure looks like a VBSF All Star Crew you've got there, Great job guys. But Ot, free gaffing a Mako? Are you outcho freaking mind son? LOL! 1,000 bonus points to Otter for a job well done. March YFT in VB and free gaffing sharks. That's aweome!

All I can say is .... WOW. I don't think Virginia Beach has ever seen fishing like we've had since January ..... endless fishing! Giant blue fin on the beach all winter and now awesome yellowfin in March!!!???? Congratulation Bob!

I love it when a guy goes fishing with his gun!! LMAO!!! Nice work fellas!! I wish I was there to take video...that would have gone viral!!

What a great day! Just so everyone understands why I have a personal vendetta against Makos. Watch this video!

Nice job Bob, sorry I missed it. But you did let me down easy when you called.

VooDoo

Your fishbox seems to be getting alot of use lately. Always enjoy reports on StillThink'n trips, videos are always entertaining but good reports will do. Oh, K and the boys are heading down beach front Wed-Fri. Last night before bed Ewing goggled up Dr. Julie Balls fishing report with a big grinon his face reading about the Croaker and Puffer... At age ten, I think he was grinning at the fishing report? ;)