Virginia Beach Fishing

You can support VBSF.net by becoming a GOLD SUPPORTER Today!

Sign in to follow this  
My Babby Ruth

tires

I run usa trail st 215/75D14. On my tailer seems like every year im putting new ones on they don't wear out they come apart keep 50psi im them and they wear even what is a good tire tks

VBSF.net | Fishing Reports From Virginia Beach VA To Hatteras NC 

A big problem for trailer tires is that they dry rot from sun exposure this typically happens by sitting with one part exposed to the sun all the time. The UV rays dry out the rubber making them hard and sometimes cracking them. unlike our cars that come to rest in a different tire position almost every day as well as keeping pliable. Look into getting some tire/wheel covers made and you will notice a big difference on how much better your new tires will last.

Another big piece of advice is make sure the tires you buy have the proper load rating, I have seen tires fail on boats more then once from people using a lower load rating because of the price. A proper load rating will have a thicker sidewall and the tire will last longer under load. Most of the force while towing is placed on the sidewall of the tire. If you are running regular radial tires this extra force will cause the tire to separate prematurely.

Here is a link for the type of covers I am talking about almost any marine upholstery place can whip some up for you at a affordable price.

http://www.amazon.com/Wheel-Tire-Covers-Trailer-Diameter/dp/B0046I14RA

Buddy, I would check the weight of your boat/trailer vs. the load rating of the tires. If possible, check the loaded weight on each axle to see if one axle is overloaded which you could adjust by moving your hitch height higher or lower. I've had similar tire issues and found over the years that I have much less trouble and better tire wear if I buy a heavier rated tire rather than one that will just meet the weight you think you are towing. I would really recomend weighing each axle loaded on your way down or back loaded for fishing. Tackle, gear, ice, fish.... they add an appreciable amount of weight! And that doesn't count fuel which isn't counted in your boat's weight figures!

Buddy, I have been running Load /Star for a while now and have had good results. I keep them balanced and rotate them as well as keeping the air pressure up. Only problem I have had out of the norm has been breaking a belt on a pot hole towing from Rudee Inlet.http://www.easternmarine.com/Trailer-Tires-Only-RADIAL/

Marshall

Good point about the radials- I don't even look at bias tires anymore. I've had better luck and better wear since changing.

Buddy... I had horrible wear on 14" Goodyear Marathons and now have Kuhmo tires hauling your boat... 230WA HydraSports. They are great! Ordered from TireRack and had them installed and BALANCED locally!!! The 205/14 has a 2270# @65psi rating and is actually larger than the old 215 goodyears I had. Hear are the specs to compare.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Kumho&tireModel=Radial+857&sidewall=Blackwall&partnum=0R4857&tab=Sizes

Tks for the tips looking at maybe going to a 15" tire to get a 8 ply the suns not an issue it sets in shop found out today been running 6 ply should have read tire person at merchants told me they were d so they were 8 ply not so on bais at least now I know 3 sets of tires later