Virginia Beach Fishing

You can support VBSF.net by becoming a GOLD SUPPORTER Today!

Sign in to follow this  
piper

spinning reel line twist

I have a spinning reel that with new line, after about 50 cast the line is so twisted it cant be used anymore. I use the same line on my other reels and they do just fine. So I think it is something with this one reel, but I cant think of anything that would cause that to happen. I ame using spinner baits that do not twist in the water so that cant be the trouble. Any ideas would be a big help.

thanks in advance

piper

VBSF.net | Fishing Reports From Virginia Beach VA To Hatteras NC 

It could be the line was put on the reel wrong. If it came off the spool the wrong way it will twist like you described. One way to get it out is if you have a boat, let all of the line out in the water. Then reel it back up with out any weight on the line it should remove some of the twist in the line.

VooDoo

I put the line on both ways, no help. I ran it out behind the boat helped for a few cast but the twisted again. Got me stumped.

I've had two identical reels once, Penn 550's and one worked flawlessly but the other did just as our explaining, I believe it was the roller piece on the bail where the line rides, I think it was stuck. I bought a new bail and installed it last year and this weened was the first time using it and it worked great. Check to see if you have a warranty and get a new piece to try. But don't hold me to it, I've had other reels in the past that no matter how they were tweaked, they still twisted the line.

Not that this will remedy your problem, but Ive changed the way I put line on spinning outfits, mono that is. I take the spool off, stick it on a macgyver built drill bit I made and then run the drill. Just make sure the line is coming off the spool the same way it is goin on the reel. Started doing this a few years back and it works great for me. I seem to get twist when I lay the spool on the ground and reel it up, even dropping the tip making sure shes right. Maybe someone will chime in with some other key tips...

if its twisting like that then its the roller on the bail, alot of times if you loosen the roller(many companies make them adjustable) and add a little oil to loosen it up you should be fine. all of my spinning reels get this treatment right out of the box, this way i never have to worry about it. know if its locked up completely then call the manufacturer and let them know, 90% of the time they will ask you to send them the bail assembly, and they will send you one that isn't fubar. also when i load line on all of my reels now i use a bucket filled half way with warm water not hot but warm, this will make the line limper on high memory lines like Ande, allowing the line to relax is key in my eye to solving alot of my initial line twist. hope this helps. tight lines

mark

To go along with "landingcrews" warm water theory, I always presoak my "new" castnets in a bucket of water w 3-4 cups of fabric softener in it for 2 days. She sure is much more limber when its done Also I always tie my mono off on a tree and walk off the line and turn around and stretch the h#$@ out of the line and then reel her back on tight. This helps a lot.