Virginia Beach Fishing

You can support VBSF.net by becoming a GOLD SUPPORTER Today!

Sign in to follow this  
RAF22

surf fishing advice

my fam has rented a semi ocean front home this weekend in the middle of sandbridge - i've surf fished from DE to SC but never in VA beach so i'm excited to finally have a chance - is there any point in fishing off the beach near the home - sounds like the wildlife refuge just down the road would be a lot better - we're looking for a mix of smaller fish for the kids/dinner (spot, hardhead) and have heavier gear for bigger fish/fun - thanks for any info you could provide

VBSF.net | Fishing Reports From Virginia Beach VA To Hatteras NC 

The beach from Sandbridge though the refuge is about the same. It is flat with a cut or hole here and there. The nice thing about the refuge is there is no swimming and no surfing so it's not crowded and the folks that are there are fisherman. The bad thing about the refuge is it closes at sundown. I would fish the refuge during the day and fish near your rental at night. This time of year you can catch taylor blues on cut bait and lures, spot on Fishbite Blood Worm or real bloodworm, and puppy drum on cut bait, sandfleas, shrimp or fishbites. The puppy drum have all been below legal size but they should keep the kids happy. I've been catching them VERY close in like knee deep. If you put the heavers out at night with a spot head or chunk of bluefish you've got a good shot at a big drum or shark. Good luck let us know how you do.

• Like 1

thanks so much for the advice, i really appreciate it

on the heavers/night side of things - my heaviest set ups are a penn 750 with about 200 of 25# and a abu 6500 with about 220 of 20# - i'm i gonna get spooled?

if so, would getting some extra spools and loading up on braid (50+?) make sense, or is there a shop that sells used reels?

thanks again!

Yeah I would put 50# power pro on the spinner and you will not need a shock leader. But keep in mined that braid will cut the crap out of your hand if you get a big fish so wear gloves. I would load your 6500 up with 17# sufix tritanium chartreuse and put a 50# mono shock leader on. There is a good post just below this one called "surf fishing tackle question". There is a lot of good info in that thread.

20lb mono is fine, use your drag and fight the fish. all my heavers are packed with 20lb mono. just make sure you use a shock leader like Paul said. for more info check out this article: http://vbsf.net/articles/surf-fishing-101/

also remember that you can't keep the big drum, they have to be 18 - 26 inches to keep. catch them up and POST SOME PICS

sorry for the late update you all but here it is:

we ended up fishing saturday 9/15 north of the refuge in the sandbridge area bc there was hardly anyone on the beach

i had gone out the night before to see if i could catch any bait with my cast net and there was that type of plankton that glows neon blue in the surf - even our footsteps on the beach would glow - it was beautiful and i called some of the family over who had never seen that before, so it was cool

on saturday we caught about a dozen puppy drum from morning until early afternoon, never caught them before so that was a treat and they really are beautiful, they were all out of keeping range so they were happily released

we caught about 3 kingfish/sea mullet and about a half dozen spot, most of which got baited up on the heavers - we caught a taylor blue that way and had a number of the spot chunks come back cut in half - i always forget to put my stinger hooks on until after the fish stop biting

we made a delicious soup out of the blue and a left over kingfish and spot - the whole gang back at home loved it

thanks again and i'll defintely be back!