Fiberglass Repair

Long Bay Pointe

Marina 

Rudee Head Boats

Sign in to follow this  
garbageman

Where To Start

Hello to All

I plan on heading to OBX next weekend for my first surf fishing experience.I live in Hampton Va. and have never been to the Outer Banks. Can someone suggest where to start? Time of day? Tide? Is there better fishing in Va? I do not have a specific target fish. I have a 4x4 truck for the beach but no fishing cart yet. Can't wait to get my feet wet.

One thing to keep in mind is you will need to purchase an ORV permit if you plan on cruising the beaches. These can be purchased at NPS permit offices. Off the top of my head, I believe there is a permit office just south of Nags Head at Coquina Beach, one near the Cape Hatteras Lighthouse in Buxton, and one in Ocracoke somewhere. Cost is $50 for a week or $100ish for a calendar year.

There is also the option of just parking and walking to the surf however this will obviously limit the areas that you will be able to fish.

As far as the when, where, why, how, you will likely be better off asking at one of the local tackle shops. Some good people down there working in the shops and will likely have the most up to date info as far as type of fish and patterns and such.

Where are you planning on going in the obx?

• Like 1

This is a good time to start. Puppy drum are all over Haterras Island right now. My friends fishing the rodanthe pier said they were catching two at a time on bottom rigs. All caught yesterday were less than 18 inch, but they stoped fishing after afew hours of non-stop action.

Thanks JPChase for the info on the permit. I wasn't aware of it.

Thanks Shocker Pops for the drum catch at rodanthe pier. I will start there....