Bait & Tackle

Fiberglass Repair

Long Bay Pointe

Marina 

Rudee Head Boats

Sign in to follow this  
1st Mate

My first Deer, Doe! 11-26-2012

Been a while since I have posted anything, but I have recently gotten into hunting! And I must say, I love it!! So here it goes, I woke up Monday morning and I had this good feeling! Pior to this day I have been on a couple hunting outings just to observe and get a feel for the woods, tree stands, what to look for, and learn what I need to know.

So anywho, got to my stand and set up. About 8:30am I here this stampede of deer coming my way, It's 6 does! I was so excited I could barely keep still, they get closer to me and I get ready! The first two that walked by I let them go because the 4 others that were following were nice size. Litterally all of them are in front of me now, but I picked the one I wanted and I took action. She was broad side and I let her have it, BOOM, she kicked and ran 20 yards and dropped!! My heart and nerves can't take much more of this excitemet!!

Got some pictures and took her home to clean. My friends dad without touching the knife walked me through step by step on how to clean it. All went well and ended up with a bunch of meat!! Soooo, I was going to hand grind my burger but decided to do away with the ole manual grinder and get a decent one that will last a while. I decided to buy an LEM 0.25hp electric grinder and it worked like a champ! Couldn't have done a better job! Got some good meat out of that deer and now im looking forward to some good meals! This is the start of a major addiction, I love hunting!

I have some family recipes in mind but.......( If anybody has some recipes they would like to share to get me started on some simple fixes, please feel free to post them ) I really appreciate it and thank you for any recipes!!

( pictures below )

Random photo in the tree stand, waiting!

2.png

My first Deer, Doe!

1-3.jpg

My first Deer, Doe!

3.png

My first Deer, Doe!

4.png

Meat after I cleaned my first Deer

2-1.png

Making Deer burger

3-1.png

All the meat after processing my first Deer!

1-5.png

Awesome! congrats on your first whitetail. You will be hooked forever!!! I just put in a few days of hunting up in PA. I didn't harvest anything this year but that's hunting. I harvested a 6X6 bull elk 4 weeks ago in colorado and one of my favorite recipes is bacon wrapped elk back strap. Take the bacon and make a basket weave. fillet the backstrap flat (quater inch thick) and lay it on top of the basket weave bacon. Salt and pepper the backstrap. Cook vadalia onions and chopped portabella mushrooms in a skillet. when done place ontop of fillet backstrap. Wrap it all up and tie it. Place it on a wire rack on a cookie sheet and bake in oven at 350 for 20 minutes then finish on the grill to crisp up the bacon. Slice and enjoy. Times will vary depending on the size of back strap you have. I have done this with whitetail as well. I also like to take backstrap and the tenderloins and just rub them down with olive oil, garlic salt, fresh cracked pepper. let it set in the fridge overnight and then grill to a medium rare and enjoy. those cuts of meat do not need alot of help to be GOOD!!!

Enjoy that whitetail, some of the best eating in the world!!

Happy hunting!

B

Thanks for the comment and the recipe, I appreciate it!!

Nice job, Chris! I don't hunt much anymore but still process a lot of deer and get what meat I want out of that. Don't let the neck go to waste though- I skin the deer all the way to the skull and save a nice roast that a lot of folks waste. Put it in a crock pot in the morning with some potatoes, carrots, onions, pack of onion soup mix, salt and pepper with enough water to almost cover it and let it cook slow all day. Put some corn starch in some cold water and add that when you get back and turn up the heat to thicken and you have a pot full of stew after you pull the bones out. put a dozen Grands biscuits in the oven out of the freezer section and you have your whole meal ready in 20 minutes. You can also just add rice if you're not a gravy kind of person and let that soak up a bunch of the broth....

The electric grinder makes life a lot easier. I like to add some pork or beef fat to my deer to aid in cooking and flavor. I still use an antique grinder that we always called a sausage mill. It dates back to the very early 1900's- the grinder is a standard number 10 but the motor is a beast at around 120 lbs. It is actually a 220 volt but the draw in amps is low enough we tied the two hot legs together and have run it on 110 volts for 50 years. I don't know how portable it is but we usually grind 30-40 deer with it each year- it is a well known and loved piece of equipment in my neighborhood!

Thanks for the comment and info!! That recipe sounds great as well, much appreciate it KD!!