Virginia Beach Fishing

You can support VBSF.net by becoming a GOLD SUPPORTER Today!

Sign in to follow this  
Scd2747

Rod questions

New angler here and am getting more hooked daily. 22 years old and was just lucky enough to by my first deep water access home right on the lynhaven. My girl just got me a 7 ft heavy st croix avid and a calcutta 400. For mostly bay and flatts fishing. It feels great . I also just picked up a calcutta 250 and I'm looking for a decent rod to pair with it. This will be mainly my inshore flats set up. My buddy insists on heavy action rods and I'm understanding the reason seeing as mostly shark, reds, and cobia. My question is what's a good combo for the 250 calcutta. Why do tackle shops generally not stock heavy action rods. I never see anyone with a heavy but mostly MH.. Is this what I should be looking for? Thanks guys any rod help would be appreciated looking in the 6'6 range seeing as I got the 7heavy avid for bay

VBSF.net | Fishing Reports From Virginia Beach VA To Hatteras NC 

As far as spinning roda i would go with one lighter one for trout, flounder, reds, baitfish and maybe some spadefish or spanish mackerel. This could be anywhere between 6 to 7 1/2 foot range. As far as the heavier rod, I would go from 7-8 foot med-heavy OR heavy action. This will be for cobia, jigging stripers, sharks, possibly kings and reds as well. I think the reason people lean toward the med heavy action is for the softer tip especially on a rod that you are casting. just make sure whatever light rod you get has some good backbone.

medium heavy puts more bend in the rod and less in your back. it really depends on what you are using the rod for. personally a flats rod is goign to be different then a bay rod. my trout rod is A LOT different then my flounder, vs my cobia, vs drum, etc. are you fishing out of a boat? kayak? bank? if your looking for a general rod to do a lot of stuff i would go with a medium rod, you will find your self throwing more small stuff fishing flats then you will big stuff. a heavy action rod may not throw a 1/4oz jig head with a gulp on it, but a decent rod will still land that 40" drum if you hook it. does that make sense?

i have a rod for almost every application i fish, striper pluggin small baits, big baits, surf heavers for drum/striper, surf rod for bait, surf rod for throwing metal, surf rod for throwing snag hooks, cobia rod, jigging rod, eeling rod, trout rod, kayak trout rod, flounder rod, etc, etc, etc.

All about budget and target species! Personally I have 14 spinning rods, 6.5'-12' all w braid and 12 conventionals on 5'-13' rods w mono. But the rod I use on every trip is Cabelas 7' Salt Striker 20-40lb line, 1-6 oz weight, with a Cabo PTS80. This is my favorite all time set up for the price and will cast anything and turn the head of just about any fish. So, I cant say enough good things about the Salt Striker series, 90$. If that's too much Bass Pro makes a really good casting rod for 32$, which I have 2 of, and as someone said the Trevala is a "BEAST" 220$.

MH with a fast action.  A 12-20lb or 12-25lb should match up pretty good with that reel.  Of course if you want to go "lighter"  a 10lb-17lb rod would do.  Reel may be a tick on the heavy side for the 10-17 though.  Balance would be to reel side.  But that makes it easier to work certain baits.