Long Bay Pointe

Bait & Tackle

Fiberglass Repair

Long Bay Pointe

Marina 

Rudee Head Boats

1st Mate

9-14-2013 Puppy Drum...1st street at VA Beach

Listened to the weather forecast the day before and knew there was a blow coming. North winds at 20-25mph bringing in the cooler weather. When I see weather patterns like this I am going to be doing one thing and that is soaking fresh menhaden in the surf!! Looking back in my log book, last year September 29th was when the first cold front came in and we whacked the Puppy Drum.

Got there around 6am at 1st street in VA Beach. It was very enjoyable because no one seems to want to fish the surf and only the rail. Dad and I got set up and casted away into the white water and it didn't take long before we started getting the bite (caught the last part of the incoming tide). After 9:30am the bite had dropped off but we were going home with several Puppy Drum up to 25"inches caught on "fresh" menhaden. Great morning for sure, I really look forward to this time of year!! Good luck.......(pictured below is my dad with the biggest Puppy Drum of the morning)

2_zpsbde25b34.jpg

Good job, Chris! Always good to see your dad out with ya! And it goes to show the value of keeping a log of fishing conditions and catching... why don't I keep one, then??? I really don't have an 'instant recall' kind of memory any more....

Thanks for the comment KD!! Keeping a log book has really helped me out in the past, it may be time consuming but it's worth it in the long run!!

next time try fresh mullet.  thats my go-to bait for pups and drum  congrats on the pups.

Went yesterday for a couple of hours before sunset, the moon rising over the horizon was spectacular. Before the height of the incoming tide caught one Puppy Drum about 6-7 lbs and 25 inches, around 6-6:15PM. Caught on fresh cut Spot, good fight in the waves and heavy current. After asking some of the regulars that fish the beach there they agreed that the window of opportunity for catching the Drums is about a 30-45 min timeframe just before the tide is full, or falling. Plan your trip accordingly. Tight Lines.