Virginia Beach Fishing

SPONSORS

Long Bay Pointe

Bait & Tackle

Fiberglass Repair

Long Bay Pointe

Marina 

Rudee Head Boats

Well...it is getting worse,though.When I was a kid fishing the beach pier on 15th Street, it could be rowdy, but I never saw real trouble, and I practically LIVED on that pier.

Now, something they used to do on the piers in Myrtle Beach that I have seen was to select a "PIER BOSS" every day, usually amongst older, more stable fishermen.They would be in control of the situation,responsible to the owners, who let them on free if they kept good behavior. Anybody that caused trouble was requested to leave.

Everybody from us VB natives to old time visitors remember that the Sandbridge Pier was not designed to BE a fishing pier. It was origionally used to pump saltwater into Back Bay.(That didn't work) then they gave it over to the city, which has kept it in basically the same condition. What they NEED to do is extend the silly thing and put a "T" on the end, so folks have got room to breath. This would fix a bunch of the bad feelings right away.

Course, Virginia Beach couldn't POSSIBLY afford it.

HAHAHA!

BA

I do not mind that the Pier Pros are fishing the end, I don't personally have the equipment to fish the end but when their carts take up the rails up to 20 to 30 feet back of the white line on the end and they sit there NOT fishing the areas where their carts are. That is my heartburn with the situation. The pier needs Cart parking spots painted in the center so those of us who want to fish can actually fish past the second break. I would not mind if the pier sold the parking spots to the pros, charged them more for pulling a small trailer "Pier Cart" onto the pier which take up the limited fishing space, limit the number of carts allowed on the pier at one time or limit the size of the cart.

Absolutely agree with Black Adder - extend the pier and put a T on the end. 

You are absolutely correct 'POPS', I agree with you totally. It is not the pier operators, nor the owners, it is the clients. I have seen a lot of different situations take place on piers from name calling to "fist-a-cuffs" to knife drawing, and even a gun pulled once on a pier in Alexandria, VA. The partners and operators of piers do, though I feel,  need to monitor their perspective properties for this type of behavior, and quell it from the first signs by  removing bad violators if needed or place rules on the pier.  Make every customer aware of the policies (RULES) the pier requires from everyone, and then strictly enforce the rules they post. Any comments are welcome. 

Pier rules are a learning expirience for us.  We are lucky enough to have a great staff of people work for us, and owners that are at the pier most days.  Consistantly enforcing the rules can be tough because some people don't read the rules, and some people are dishonest. 

everything you heard about sand bridge pier is accurate.  there has been about a dozen caught off the beach as well.  last couple of days the VA BEACH pier even caught a bunch.  all my information is good from well known sources.  

oh yeah BTW, past two nights:

my 52:

AK_52_30SEPT2013_1.jpg

my buddies 49"

alex_49_01OCT2013.jpg

on the beach in sand bridge, fresh spot and fresh mullet is key.

beach.  i dont pier fish much.  

Yeah maybe Mr. Thompson (GKR) can spend a few dimes, make the repairs, then call it "Thompson's Fishing Pier" and higher a "Professional crew" to run the day to day operations, and assign 125 parking spaces specifically for pier patrons at a reduced rate since they are paying to fish, on top of paying to park. Any comments?