Virginia Beach Fishing

SPONSORS

Long Bay Pointe

Bait & Tackle

Fiberglass Repair

Long Bay Pointe

Marina 

Rudee Head Boats

Although no one is posting it on the usual internet websites (P&S TF, SBP) the Sandbridge Fall Red Drum Run started Sept. 17th on that NE blow and that's no big secret with plenty of big fish been caught. The pier must be up to 80+ fish and us on the beach have C&R'd some 20+ fish? Pier usually out fishes us 5 to 1 easy and they can have at it I'm keeping my toes in the sand :cool_smiley:

That said, Andrew K you can pop some more pics up now that we "let the cat out of the bag" as I have no idea how to post a photo?! Amazing I even post anymore as I can never remember password et al.

Well...it is getting worse,though.When I was a kid fishing the beach pier on 15th Street, it could be rowdy, but I never saw real trouble, and I practically LIVED on that pier.

Now, something they used to do on the piers in Myrtle Beach that I have seen was to select a "PIER BOSS" every day, usually amongst older, more stable fishermen.They would be in control of the situation,responsible to the owners, who let them on free if they kept good behavior. Anybody that caused trouble was requested to leave.

Everybody from us VB natives to old time visitors remember that the Sandbridge Pier was not designed to BE a fishing pier. It was origionally used to pump saltwater into Back Bay.(That didn't work) then they gave it over to the city, which has kept it in basically the same condition. What they NEED to do is extend the silly thing and put a "T" on the end, so folks have got room to breath. This would fix a bunch of the bad feelings right away.

Course, Virginia Beach couldn't POSSIBLY afford it.

HAHAHA!

BA

About $1200 per foot of length.

I do not mind that the Pier Pros are fishing the end, I don't personally have the equipment to fish the end but when their carts take up the rails up to 20 to 30 feet back of the white line on the end and they sit there NOT fishing the areas where their carts are. That is my heartburn with the situation. The pier needs Cart parking spots painted in the center so those of us who want to fish can actually fish past the second break. I would not mind if the pier sold the parking spots to the pros, charged them more for pulling a small trailer "Pier Cart" onto the pier which take up the limited fishing space, limit the number of carts allowed on the pier at one time or limit the size of the cart.

Absolutely agree with Black Adder - extend the pier and put a T on the end. 

Good feedback. I am guilty of this myself.  I do like the idea of pier cart parking spaces.

Why oh Why can't people have the guts to make the idiots/owners of the carts tell them politely to move them off the rail, and if they do not comply tell the pier manager to get assistance. Maybe (1) person can start a revolution and take "OUR" public piers back.

I sought the advice of an old friend who runs the North Carolina Fishing Pier Society site, http://www.ncfps.com/, Al, says some NC piers do not let coolers or carts past a certain point, (not the end white line for rods and fishermen only line) a line further back.  Also a good rule of thumb is "Nothing allowed on the rail except the rod(s) you are currently fishing."  That simple rule would solve many issues. 

Right On

Posted the following on the http://www.sandbridgepier.com/sbforum/index.php

Hope for a good response.

All,
Have been discussing the pier rules at VBSF forum lately. Would like to propose a pier etiquette rule to allow us all to be able to fish the pier. "Nothing allowed on the rail except the rod(s) you are currently fishing."

This would move the carts and lounge chairs toward the center and allow those of us who do not fish the end a chance to fish the breaks further out.

Appreciate any feedback,
Ted

I agree, but the regulars on Little Island Pier will take this as a "Hostile Takeover" and who knows what the response would/will be.

Posted the following on the http://www.sandbridgepier.com/sbforum/index.php

Hope for a good response.

All,

Have been discussing the pier rules at VBSF forum lately. Would like to propose a pier etiquette rule to allow us all to be able to fish the pier. "Nothing allowed on the rail except the rod(s) you are currently fishing."

This would move the carts and lounge chairs toward the center and allow those of us who do not fish the end a chance to fish the breaks further out.

Appreciate any feedback,

Ted

I met Al this spring he is a gerat guy.  That was the guy from the North Carolina Pier Fishing Society.

Al and the NCPFS is a good group of people. Really enjoyed the NCPFS World Tours - Fishing all NC piers in one week. Have thought about doing my own Virginia Pier world tour since I have not fished all of them yet.